I found the SGS website!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by The Half Dime, Feb 21, 2024.

1. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Lots of us new collectors have likely heard of SGS, but when you go to their website, ........nothing. However, after some digging, I actually found it!

SGS - Star Grading Services Home (archive.org)

This was found on the Wayback Machine, and along with it are some photos I'd like to show you: sgssamplefront.jpg quarter.jpg
    First of all, that CC Morgan dollar is closer to a 60 than a 66, but it is probably DMPL. The quarter is closer to a 66.

However, in the submission form that they had, I just had to download it because I am wondering if they truly took submissions.

Anyways, this is another thing I wanted to showcase, as it's quite awesome when an archive website can bring the past into the present. I wasn't even alive yet when SGS started grading coins, so this interests me just that much more.

Now that this has been found, hopefully we can find others like GEC, TCGS (yes, the company that got shut down for mail fraud), and maybe even others which, well, tried to be real. It's sure to be quite an awesome journey! ;)

Attached Files:

Publius2, Mr.Q and -jeffB like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Great! I'll send 'em a box of nuts and bolts.....(devil)

Mainebill, dwhiz and charley like this.
  4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

SGS, bad news! Thanks for the info. sharing.

charley likes this.
  5. charley

charley Well-Known Member

You are being a nice gentleman, limiting the opinion to "...bad news...".

Thank goodness I was not asked directly for an opinion. My finesse level is not that...well.....couth.

Good job.

-jeffB and Noah Worke like this.
  6. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

I guarantee they'd look at it and slab it as a 70. LOL

Uhhh.... you must be this calm all the time! Bad news is never the start when it comes to SGS. Furthermore, their shop got raided for something that didn't have a thing to do with the grading company.

In all honesty, had this not happened, SGS would likely be still slabbing to this day.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

SGS=Sub Grading Slabber

Mainebill likes this.
  8. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Here are some other acronyms:

Stuffed Garbage in a Slab
    Slapped Grade Slabs
    Stupid Grades on a Slab

Plus many more! ;)

Mainebill likes this.
  9. dennis5151

dennis5151 Ole Grim and I are on first name basis.

So, as a collector of anything rare... Will the SGS slabs have any future value... like the premiums on the first slabs of surviving graders? I am still looking for a PCGS slab numbered 108001 to 108099.

10. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

SGS slabbed coins will only ever be worth their actual grade. This is a company where you should buy the coin for the coin and not the holder.

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The Internet Archive is not new... I've been using it for years to research slab companies. Now that you've found it, you should become a supporter.

-jeffB likes this.
  12. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

What slab companies have you found? I looked up ones like GEC and it says "the domain may be for sale".

13. Burton Strauss III

Once you find the domain, you need to - gingerly - probe the saved captures.

upload_2024-2-22_8-51-19.png

If a domain comes back to life after a long absence, it's almost certainly bought for the link traffic and will be less than savory...

In 2007, there are a bunch of captures in October

upload_2024-2-22_8-52-28.png

That first one gives you a legit page

https://web.archive.org/web/20071002055005/http://www.gecgrading.com/

The links on that page are probably OK.

The archive.org URLs link
    upload_2024-2-22_8-54-51.png

Shows you what else they have captured. Sometimes there are interesting pages.

You can also look at the "end of life"

upload_2024-2-22_8-56-2.png

Happens that 2011-02-21 initially has the same look page as 2007-10-02. If you let it sit and fire off the javascript, it becomes a Sedo resale/parking page.

Try to follow up on the domain registry history... the problem is that most data is paywalled and blinded. Sometimes you find bits...

-jeffB likes this.
  14. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

I actually located part of the site from 2006, while one in 2007 had another site there. Have you found any other websites?

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Always buy the coin, not the slab.

16. Burton Strauss III

Honestly? Zero interest in a garbage grading company that uses friction-fit slabs and never (AFAIK) issued samples.

masterswimmer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted