I am looking for an SS Republic slabbed half dollar.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by edteach, Mar 1, 2024.

1. edteach

edteach Well-Known Member

I tried to do a search for one on Vcoin but it comes back as no match. Any way to do a search for that coin slabbed on Vcoin? Or is there a good place outside of eBay to look for one? Thanks.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I was within a hairs breath of buying one of those about this time last year. I ran into it entirely by accident. I was searching a particular year of seated halves and one came up. I loved the way it looked and am still kicking myself for not buying it.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I had to say this Randy, but you should be kicking yourself my friend.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

hehe I almost had a real nice one a few days ago off EB... i would say AU/shipwreck effect and it went for under $200.. I've seen some really messed up ss republic coins selling 300+ so i know someone got a great deal on the one i missed lol
    I've also priced them on other sites like apmex and DLRC most asking 300+ for anything decent looking.. Good luck in you search I hope you can find one at a good price...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  6. edteach

I found this one on epray. Seller is asking 310 for it. Seems like its in good condition not real salt water damaged.

SS republic half dollar jpg reverse.jpg SS Republic half dollar jpg.jpg

mrweaseluv and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

I would be a buyer at $310.00

8. edteach

thanks, I bought it. I know if I really look I may be able to save a 50 dollar bill but its in good condition and I can miss this and find one that is not quit as nice for a bit less.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

I have a question. If a shipwreck recovered coin (like the one shown above) was submitted to a third party grading service and they did not know where it came from, would it receive a details grade?

10. Randy Abercrombie

Yes. The saltwater will etch the surface of silver over the years. Some, like @edteach coin survive surprisingly well, but the coin will be damaged.

Draft saved Draft deleted