How to prevent your children from joining a Manson Family style cult

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by willieboyd2, Nov 16, 2018.

1. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not the kind of person that I think the hobby needs a testimonial from. Advice from a Manson family member "collect coins!"

4. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Seems like you could join a cult and collect coins. Maybe I should start a cult where people have to bring coins to the exalted leader, me, to gain status in my “church”.:)

5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Interesting take, but I think you are wrong to dis her saying "collect coins or something", because I see it as an extension of being kind to your kids, keeping them as kids and nurturing them at home and giving them good things to occupy their time so they don't go looking elsewhere for what they don't think they are or can get at home, or to escape a bad childhood. Parenthood is hard, and perhaps her parents failed her. She seems determined to change that with her kids.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sounds like every church I've ever known, they call it taking up the collection.

Yes, it's just that is seems odd, taking parenting advice from the Manson family.

7. Kasia

Well, I would not advise to take parenting advice from any of the majority of the people who were part of the Manson family. But Dianne Lake is likely the only one you might want to. Not because she made any fantastic decisions as a kid, joining him at age 14, but she was 'lucky' in that after her arrest and all the things going on with the investigation, she was taken in by a law enforcement officer and he and his family helped her get medical help and finish h.s. and be prepared to go to college and be a productive member of society. I have to say that sometimes this happens to the benefit of the person, though most of Charlie's girls would not fit this mold or be redeemable.

I tend to think that her being able to turn her life around in a good way might be evidence that if she had a better childhood with parents who did not give her permission to go off with Charlie, etc. and a stable home, that she would not have done it on her own. So....

PlanoSteve, LA_Geezer and -jeffB like this.
  8. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

They’re called “Clubs.” On the last Thursday of every month. ;)

Sunflower_Coins and Kasia like this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The statement was an afterthought........something that comes to mind, and for one reason or another, doesn't mean much........heck. She could have mentioned stamps or antiques.

10. Kasia

or play soccer or develop a habit of reading books and educating yourself or just about any 'wholesome' activity that can occupy someone's time in a healthy way. Yep. She probably did not actually mean to say collecting coins is going to keep someone safe from being pulled into a cult, but I would say that (since I have been collecting coins and they represent easy $$$ to people who don't collect them), that if you collect coins and get into a cult, you won't be collecting or appreciating coins much longer. Those other people will find a way to get your coins and pawn them for easy money. So in one way, actually collecting coins and remaining able to collect coins kind of means you aren't in a cult like she was or that others are where you have to provide all you have for the collective and do what the leader says. Perhaps there could be a hint of self-servingness that a person needs to have to remain cult-free..... just a thought, not really developed.

PlanoSteve and green18 like this.
  11. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Just don't have children!

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

13. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Whoops

Draft saved Draft deleted