How To Hold a Coin

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Speedy, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Howdy Y'all
    Hope it is alright to post in the Frequently Asked Questions since ND is the only other poster...

Some people do not realize how that holding a coin the wrong way can decrease the value of the coin.

ALWAYS hold a coin buy the edge or rim....NEVER NEVER place your fingers on the face or back of the coin...if the coin is circulated it might not hurt but in the long run its better to be safe than sorry.

Fingerprints will appear on the coin if you touch it the wrong way.

I have a box almost full of "Problem Coins" because somebody has cleaned or held or damaged the coin is some way where it does not go in my collection.

So hold the coin right and be safe.

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Adam Hunsaker likes this.
  4. Speedy

Ah, that is what I wanted but couldn't find ;) ;)

Thanks GD.
    Well what knowledge I have I try to share and help other maybe younger collectors since I was there once and know what it's like...very well :D

Speedy

5. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I am weary of holding uncirculated coins by their edges now. A good while ago I noticed with uncirculated coins(and circulated as well just not as much) that a mist from my fingers would show on the borders of the coin and then disappear after a few seconds so now with unc. coins I try and hold them with my shirt and even then try not to get my hands sweaty so it does not build up on my shirt where I handle the coins.

6. Speedy

I don't think I wouls use your shirt at all....
    Are your hands always sweaty?

Speedy

7. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Well I just use it to hold the coin by the rim. Even when my hands are dry I see it happen. I've been told that there is always oil and crap coming from your fingers and no matter how dry you think they are that that is happening and I fully believe because of what I have seen...

8. Jens

Jens New Member

Personally i think the easiest way is to wear cotton gloves when handling coins. They don't cost much and you don't need to be over-cautious not to touch the coin in the wrong place all the time.

9. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Well...I've tried that in point of fact and after a while I notice the same thing happens. I've come to the conclusion that it is just best to handle them as little as possible and get them in a holder right away.

10. Jens

Jens New Member

Just to make sure nothing bad happens to my coins:
    How long is a while and did you wash or change the gloves from time to time ?
    Anyway you're perfectly right, not handling the coins at all is safest but sometimes i just WANT to touch one, can't help it...

EllenMWJ likes this.
  11. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Well a while is what I would say is the time it takes for your hands to warm up because of being in the gloves themselves. Doesn't take long for me. I don't really use the gloves anymore but to tell you the truth I didn't wash them but they were pretty new anyways.

12. Speedy

Well yes gloves are great if your hands are the right size...mine are not...
    I love to hold coins as it's a bit of history in each coin.
    Today I bought a 1908-S IHC and to just think that maybe a president used that coin to help fund his campaign...
    Speedy

13. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Yes that is a very good point. It's no big deal if they are circulated but with a reeded coin you have to be careful as that brightness and sharpness of the reed wears down mighty fast...

14. GDJMSP

Jens -

All I can speak of is my experience. But that has been that white cotton gloves are the preferred method for handling coins. I use a pair for a month or so - throw them away and get a new pair. Never had a problem ;)

John Skelton likes this.
  15. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Yes that is true they work very well but I noticed that as my hands warm up I will see the mist on the borders of the coins anyways due to persperation that builds up in the gloves.

16. Jens

Jens New Member

Did anyone ever observe that a mist would show on the borders of the coin and then disappear as NOS described it even if you just take a coin out of a holder and lay it down ?
    I'm not sure if this mist isn't sometimes already caused by a change in temperature or humidity if you take a coin out of an air-tight holder.

BTW does anyone use one of those and are they any good?
    [​IMG]

17. Speedy

Jens
    Nope I've never seen any mist on my coins...I've seen coins with finger-prints and some other things but not mist...

I for one don't like the looks of those...they might be great but I don't know....
    Speedy

18. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

It just happens in general, more noticeably with unc. coins. It is the sweat and oils that I see disappear.

19. GDJMSP

The mist he mentions is caused by temperature change - your hands are warm the coin cool - condensation can form where you fingers touch the coin. In 45 years - I have never seen this while wearing gloves - ever. Apparently NOS has.

Coins should be stored at fairly consistent temperature - room temp if possible. And abrupt changes in temp should be avoided.

As for the coin tongs - I would not suggest them unless you like dropping a lot of coins.

Mkm5 likes this.
  20. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Yes you make some very good points there. I think latex gloves would do away with that problem. Wouldnt condensation be bad for the coins anyways though??

21. Jens

Jens New Member

Thanks for the helpful advice. I think i will stick with the cotton gloves or try latex gloves sometime.
    @GDJMSP: I was really thinking of buying coin tongs, so thanks a lot for saving me the money. Hope you didn't drop too many coins with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted