how do you get new coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by marnixvada, Oct 6, 2002.

1. marnixvada

marnixvada New Member

Hello everybody,
    How do you get new coins for your collection? Do you buy them? Do you swap your doubles?
    I am a collector of worldcoins and since I have this computer-machine I traded a lot of my doubles with people from all over the world. That's a nice way to collect coins.
    Regards
    marnixvada

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CarlWohlforth

CarlWohlforth Carl's Coins

Trading sounds like fun!

I love the Internet, we are meeting collectors from outside the US and from all over the US. I think that is awesome.

I buy coins on eBay, at shows and at other auctions. By far the best deals were on eBay. I think that is because you have to wade through so much junk and dodge sellers that exagerate or worse.

4. Neptune

Neptune & Amphitrite

I generally buy mine, but would love to get into some trading! If anyone can provide a site for trading, please advise! I will definitely have some things to trade once I get organized - Maybe we can have a trading section in this forum. 8)

5. Tbirde

Tbirde Senior Member

I've found Ebay is a good source IF you know what is a good deal and what is not.

6. Neptune

Neptune & Amphitrite

Oh yes, eBay - of course! Forgot to mention that. However, you have to be a lot more cautious on eBay when buying coins. Like you said - you have to know what you are doing - and research it. It also helps to know about the buyer, check their feedback. I even check other bidders to see if I can tell more by that route, as well. I figure if someone else who buys/sells coins on a regular basis (or better yet - several of them) is bidding, then the percentages are that they Seller can be trusted, and the deal may more likely be a good one - or a safe coin. I take my eBay buying very serious. :wink:

7. Chrysta Wilson

Chrysta Wilson New Member

There isn't any good coin shop that I am aware of in my immediate area, so most of my stuff is gotten online. I have a couple of online dealers I like, and I get more stuff through private transactions with people I meet on rec.collecting.coins. A little education can be a scary thing. The more I know about coins, the less I trust e-bay. I hardly ever buy anything there anymore unless I know the seller. I would like to get to more coin shows, since I really like being able to see in person what I am buying.

I also would be all for a trading forum here! I have had some pretty good experiences trading before. I collect Lincolns and Mercuries by date, and know it would be easier to trade for some of the common dates I need than to try to buy them online. Who wants to pay $3 shipping for a 75 cent purchase?!

8. Jess

Jess Senior Member

All of the above, buy sell or trade. I am personally always looking to upgrade what I have.

9. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

By all means use this site for arranging trades. If we get enough demand, we'll certainly have a special section for trading. At the moment, it's a bit premature. I think it would turn off people to the site if we had a whole bunch of different sections with not much activity going on. So, for now, just use the main forum for trading, when/if we get enough demand we'll do the special trading section. ;)
    Good idea.

10. Neptune

Neptune & Amphitrite

Very well put -- This is true with me also. And you can guarantee if it's a good deal - with coins --- you WILL have competition, most of the time.

11. Bullionbound

Bullionbound New Member

I have a few spotted Silver American eagles that I am willing to trade. They make EXCELLENT teaching props on what happens to coins when not properly stored. Why spend months trying to do this yourself when you can obtain one from me so easily? :lol:

Actually, on a somewhat more serious note: I have 10 New Jersey D quarter rolls from the reserves wrapped head-tails in the orange-white wraps. I had gotten them before the mint started selling rolls and because it was the only $25 quarter bag that I missed from the mint. I have since bought the bag on ebay. They are unsearched, brilliant and worth virtually nothing, but I would trade them for similar rolls of another state(s). pm me if interested. On another thought, I have 2x2000 silver proof sets that I would be willing to trade. I bought a bunch hoping to make some money on ebay, but this year is not selling very well.

12. coinsrcool

coinsrcool Member

i have a lot of world coins. edited - coinsrcoll, if you'll notice this thread was last posted to back in 2002, before we had a section specifically to be used for buying, selling & trading of coins among members of the forum. But now, 7 years later we do have such a section and we no longer permit offers to buy, sell or trade to be posted anywhere outside that section. It is called the Open Forum. So if you wish to make trades with other members, please post such offers there.

Draft saved Draft deleted