Hey toning experts!>>GTG morgan toner

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Apr 2, 2015.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Lets see how many of the self-proclaimed "toning" experts can guess this one. 1881S Morgan> what say you? Did this coin straight grade as problem free? Or did it get the old QC or worse, the infamous AT designation. Whoever nails this one will go down as a guru in my book. Let the competition begin! IMG_20150402_154529.jpg IMG_20150402_161330.jpg IMG_20150402_160149.jpg IMG_20150402_161528.jpg

coinman1234 and jello like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Since there are only two guesses possible, I'll say it is natural toning.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  4. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

If you want an opinion on the authenticity of the toning, you should post high quality images of it. As it stands, I don't think NT/MA v. AT really matters as the photos make it look unattractive and it would probably trade at a discount either way. No offense meant...

5. heavycam.monstervam

For those of you who compain about images, just remember that myself and most others dont join CT having a professional photography certification. How about a suggestion or a tip on how the images could improve. MY hobby is coins and I enjoy posting coins. I dont think my images are THAT bad and if they are then just move along I guess. It gets old hearing the same folks drop by just to say your images suck and i wont participate because of it. Seriously?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

No offense intended, but how could the coin have pink tint and a reddish-brown splotch in one obverse photo and mostly blue tint in another obverse photo?

Chris

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  7. heavycam.monstervam

I guess I should have explained that part, 1 picture was in daylight, the other one was inside. Thats why they look different

8. heavycam.monstervam

Well, i guess none of the "experts" wanna stick their neck out there. I cant say i blame them. You all have a rep to maintain, and getting this wrong wouldnt look good on your CT resume

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

No one is suggesting you need to be a professional photographer, but with the types of threads you often start, images of a reasonable quality are necessary to give a meaningful opinion, and one based upon more than a guess. Also, there are many past threads on how to hone coin imaging skills there for anyone wishing to make use of them.

10. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Oh please...:rolleyes: I could care less about my CT resume (and the self proclaimed experts were on the anti-toning side, no?). I am all for posting opinions which I believe are based on logic and reason. I cannot offer a reasonable opinion based on the photos provided. Send it to a professional photographer (it costs like $5 + shipping with some photographers) and then people would offer opinions. The picture you have posted are of crude quality. I find it as reliable as looking at the coin in the dark. Would you claim to authenticate and grade a coin in the dark? Why would I then express an opinion on the toning on something that looks like it was taken in poor lighting? It doesn't make any sense.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  11. heavycam.monstervam

This isnt an exact science! Look at the photo is it real is it fake? Thats it, your not writing an essay on it. You are judging color. Your not even assigning a sheldon number to it. It really isnt as big of a deal as you are making it. Its a mickey mouse exercise and I would guarantee that you know exactly what is going on with this coin but you will not admit to it at this point. That would suggest you were wrong had you said AT for example. Coins with dark toning are very hard to image and you know it. Im not gonna send this to a photographer just to find out if you can guess it or not. You ruin threads when you jump on and spew nonsense about image quality. Not many new members here CAN take quality images but you dont follow those guys around and dog their images! Just me for whatever reason. Its ok just concede that you were wrong and all will be right in the world

12. heavycam.monstervam

Oh and ill bet you WOULD give your opine if I started to celebrate this coin and how nice it is. You would knock me off my high horse like a jousting knight.

Hommer likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Take a deep breath, and then maybe stop posting for a bit?

14. heavycam.monstervam

Wuuussaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Wusaaaaaaaa
    Im gonna go have a beer or 6

coinman1234 likes this.
  15. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I never new there were so many people that dont care for us toning collectors.

16. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I agree with you on that point and will try to help out. First off, I do not think your photos are very bad, they are comparable to most of the people on here. Most people on here do not specialize in taking photos and you can probably notice that some people take very blurry photos, some people suck at close-ups, others look like they were taken outside at night. I think the big thing you may need to make your photos better is lighting (which may be one of the things most people struggle at). Anyways, My favorite lighting tip is to put the coin in neutral lighting, maybe 3 feet away from a desk lamp (remember not to point the lamp directly at the coin to reduce reflections from the coin's holder). Try not to use your camera's flash or use any direct light, the pre-existing light (In the example the pre-existing lighting would be caused by the desk lamp in the area is all you need. I like to take photos on the floor of a sunny room (The kind of photo I take on a Saturday morning right as I get back from my local coin shop). Always aim directly at the coin with your camera if you are asking a grade, for toning take photos at many different angles and lightings to try to capture the most of the toning's texture and color. Put all the photos in one thread and include one direct direct photo (The direct photo is the main photo of the coin for the thread, taken at exactly 90 degrees). I just use my cell phone for 99% of my photos and experiment with different lighting and such and then the lighting that works best for the coin, remember to try different lighting for different coins and pick whatever photo makes the coin look best. I may balance my phone on a book or such to keep it from moving when I take a photo (because I can never hold still doing photography). I usually hold my phone one foot above the coin for a photo too, too close and the photo comes out weird and too far and the details are not as sharp.

Overall, I think your photos are OK, you may just have to work on your lighting, I think that is the only problem because you seem to be okay with all that other stuff.

Anyways, Nice toning, it looks very vibrant, I will say natural.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  17. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I would think that the coin was stored in a dark moist place, left untouched and forgotten about. The seems like the kind of toning your coin has.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

This kind of comment might be why, beyond the iffy images, more to not wish to participate in your threads.

19. heavycam.monstervam

Coinchemistry,I may have been a little irritable. I took photos of this coin for 3 days before posting. I was trying to match the color as close as i could to in-hand. The coin is so dark that it was a very tough task. I thought i had it matched pretty good to how it looked outside in daylight and inside under a light. I thought my photo skills had gotten better until you chimed in.

20. heavycam.monstervam

Oh i get it now, you were waiting for your big chance to get back at me for another thread. Hence y you said "threads" . Thats why you are still trying to bait me into another argument. Ha ha trick no good.

21. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I'm no self proclaimed toning expert and I could care less about my CT resume outside of the opinion of a big handful of members who I respect but I will offer an opinion anyway.

I say NT and would suggest that it spent a good bit of time in an old Whitman folder in a humid part of the country. Most of my Morgan set came from my grandfathers collection that was stored like this and they almost all look very similar to your second set of photos.

Also, my images suck as well. I just usually post the old auction images if I can find them. Otherwise this is the best that I can do with my iPhone and a desk lamp. They're not terrible, but no luster ever shows through which leads to most thinking that the coin has been cleaned. image.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted