Guess this grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jun 4, 2010.

?

Guess the grade 1912-S

1. AU-55

2.7%
  2. AU-58

37.8%
  3. MS-61

13.5%
  4. MS-62

27.0%
  5. MS-63

18.9%
  6. MS-64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

After all the hullabaloo, let's lighten things up a bit with a guess the grade. The black streaks are on the coin, but they are not scratches

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Dick,
    I am going to say it's a 63. However with this post of yours it probably got graded less than that.

-Shrek

4. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

This is a tricky one. I'm not quite sure if I see rub or not, but I do notice an incomplete rim. I'm gonna give it an MS-61...

5. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I am wondering what is going on between the two black streaks at the top. The first starts on the left and cuts through the middle of the ear. The second is above that and goes through the top of the hairline right about the top of the forehead. To me it almost looks like it was struck through something - or it could just be smudges on the holder. Anyway that one section looks weakly struck between those two lines.

Nice coin anyway.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No idea what PCGS said, but I know what I'd say - Genuine - Altered Surfaces.

Unless I miss my guess that coin was whizzed a looooong time ago.

Look carefully at the edges of the devices, the legends, even the rims. They all look like this -

Attached Files:

8. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

Hey GDJMSP,

do you copy and paste the pictures then blow them up or do you use a special program?

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

First off, no, it is not genuine. I might be able to see another piece like the area you reference just below his tie. It looks to me like it is just die polish lines from minting. There is also a minute woodgraining that kind of make the flat surfaces sparkle a bit (adding to the effect you are seeing). I see no evidence that it has been whizzed.

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am sure he has a program to blow up the pictures, but that is virtually the same size as my original. (He has only blown it up about 10%). All you have to do is click on the photo 3 times. Once to get it to opens a pop-up, second opens a new window and the third onlarges the pic to full size.

11. GDJMSP

Except for a tiny detail - die polishing does not leave marks on the devices - only the fields.

Neither do I, except for what I have indicated. And whizzing is the only way they could get there. Thus my conclusion.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I don't know what to tell you. I took a light and a loupe and twisted it every way I could, and the only place I can find those marks is right on the edge of the devises. That is exactly where die polishing would show up (along with the flats).

13. GDJMSP

But die polish marks cannot show up on the devices because die polishing is done with a flat zinc plate that is much larger than the die and that can in no way reach down into the the recesses of a die. The die face, the field portion, is flat. The zinc plate is flat. And when two flat surfaces come together the only contact that can be made is on the flat surfaces.

I'll grant you that whoever graded that coin made the same assumption you are making. But it can't happen, it's impossible.

14. GDJMSP

Here are several images of die polish lines. In not one instance do the lines appear on the devices, and they never will - because they can't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I figured you were going to do something like that and I cannot find the thread example I am looking for, but here is the picture (it is the same picture as in the thread). I guess I missed something because I will swear that you agreed the striations on his back were die polish/die wear. Those are the same type as I am seeing on this coin.

Attached Files:

16. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

It seems to me that during the die polishing process there isn't always flat surface to flat surface contact. Isn't possible that the tool was used on a slight angle and on the edge of the zinc plate. Wouldn't that move metal downwards into the incuse area of the die?

17. raider34

raider34 Active Member

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

How about foreign material getting stuck between them?

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

20. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

As someone who examines usually hundreds of Lincolns a day, I can tell you that die polish lines do not only show up in the fields. That's where they typically are, but on Lincolns they also commonly show up on the vest area, the forehead, the ears, and in the transition areas. Take a look at the polish lines on the wings of this 1899 VAM 5:

http://www.vamworld.com/1899+Micro+O+Guide

21. GDJMSP

Yeah, I did agree that those wer elikely die polish marks. But they are not up on the device, merely to the edge of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted