Guess the TPG grade 1803 Draped Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bedford, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Well,This IMO is a magnificent example 1803 Large 3 12 Arrows O-101 Draped Bust half . It is CAC stickered.

So how well will your eye agree with the TPG's grade ?

In addition once enough grades /opinions are added & I reveal the grade I want to see if you agree with the CAC .

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

Your, coin??

It looks to me to be upper AU. It appears to have a rub on liberty,s cheak and mabey on the eagle's breast. The strike looks good for the breed but enough missing detail to make it tough to pinpoint condition. Especially for an untrained grader like me.:secret:
    Great looking coin that would look even better in my hands. ;)

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

lets see: PCGS, and AU-58.

So, they probably market graded it MS-63.

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

AU-55 , another nice coin .
    rzage

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm going to say it's an AU-50. There is some wear on the high points on both the obverse and the reverse that drops the grade a bit...but overall it's a beautiful example of the coin.

7. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

AU50. Another hottie !

I considered MS for a few moments, but its seems clear there is rub on Libbie's cheek, hair above temple, and top / back of head.

Terrific color. Very nice surfaces.

Reverse seems like a really strong strike. "E ... UNUM" looks great (weak on many others, even high grade like this one). Clear rub on clouds, eagle's head, breast, and leading edge of wings.

Marvelous coin.

8. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Very nice coin. Looks AU55 to me.

9. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

My assessment is AU55.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm going to agree with Frank...AU58.

11. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I'll say AU-50, and they said AU-55. :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

By ANA standards, it's an XF40. Fully suspect it's slabbed AU55 though.

And how they can justify that is beyond me, but they do on a regular basis. The coin has obvious wear, and more than a little, on the hair, cheek, forehead, shoulder, ribbon, stars - virtually everywhere and the same for the reverse - the right corner of the shield is practically worn smooth, the horizontal or vertical shield lines are not separated completely, all of the feathers show wear. And most of all, there is not a trace of luster than I can see on the coin. But I will admit, that could be the pics. But based on the wear I doubt it.

13. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I have to go AU here.
    Damn Budgood, you sure are posting some nice stuff these days !!

14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I will say AU53

15. dready

dready Coin Hoarder

64 . The weak reverse keeping it from a 65. Beautiful coin. It would look real nice at my house.... John

16. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Thanks for the replies. Well most everyone was pretty on or close enough. The coin is graded by PCGS as AU55 - It is also CAC stickered.

Now do you agree that the coin is superior for the grade ?

Oh .... The coin also does have some luster still around the peripheries you just cant tell by the pictures.

Attached Files:

17. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would have to have it in hand, but from your pictures I would say no. It is still a very nice coin!

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

AU55 or 58, depending on luster. Very nice coin!

19. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Those older coins , before reeded edges are hard for me to grade , not sure if its wear or a week strike , from the pictures I'd say no , but then I'm no expert .
    rzage;)

Draft saved Draft deleted