Guess the Sin! Why is this 1919 Quarter Details?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MIGuy, Mar 2, 2024.

1. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I'm always working on improving my Standing Liberty Quarter set and my "special" needs are the 1919-D, 1923-S and 1927-S (yes, I'm a lucky boy on the rest). Sooo, I probably shouldn't have, but I bought this details 1919-D recently - it just looks so good to me - who can guess what the "Details" are on this one? Is it obvious and I just don't see it? I'm curious as to what you see!

1919dha3.jpg 1919dha4.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I don't see it being a "details coin" either. Who graded it if I must ask? Looks really nice to me, especially the reverse. biggrin.gif

MIGuy likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Just a guess. I wonder if the stains on the reverse are from a dip and the coin was not rinsed properly.

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

That's what I'm thinking too.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I would have picked that beautiful piece up in an instant. I agree with @ldhair and think there may be dip residue on the reverse.

Cheech9712 and MIGuy like this.
  7. Hambone1946

Hambone1946 Well-Known Member

I'm sure they said it was cleaned. Nice coin with a nice strike.

MIGuy likes this.
  8. MIGuy

Honestly, I wish it was Cleaned, it’s something worse in my view - though I don’t see it, on this one I definitely bought the coin, not the slab (PCGS, btw). I’ll post the reveal later today, so far no one has guessed it.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. 1776

1776 Member

Maybe the dreaded “ tooled “

MIGuy likes this.
  10. samclemens3991

samclemens3991 Well-Known Member

I will preface this by saying I haven't collected Standing Quarters since the 1990-s. I will also say I do not think a coin of this quality should be in a details holder.
    It could just be the picture but the luster on the coin is reversed. That is to say the very highest points appear to be the shiniest. Sometimes lightly polished coins have that appearance. Only thing I can imagine was the sin. James

MIGuy likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am guessing whizzed.

MIGuy likes this.
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

To me it looks like it was removed from from a jewelry pendant holder. Still a great
    looking coin. Jim

MIGuy likes this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

Maybe scratched?
    If so, it could be the two areas inside my circles:
    upload_2024-3-2_10-11-5.png

BuffaloHunter and MIGuy like this.
  14. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

Looks like a cross scratch on the left panel as stated above.

MIGuy likes this.
  15. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Before I even got down to this response, this is exactly where I was going. I was going to do the screen shot and circle the exact same areas. I'm in the scratched boat as well.

Edit to add: This is a really nice looking coin, so a big bummer that it's "details"

MIGuy and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  16. MIGuy

You all are a sharp bunch, but it is "smoothed" and I'm not precisely sure what that means in this case - was it heated? I don't know, but I think it looks great and like the coin a lot (plus the price was right). I never would have known it was altered except for PCGS on this one - meanwhile I luckily have a lower "straight" F12 graded one and I'm still in the hunt for a straight graded AU for my top set. Do any of you have any experience with "Smoothed" coins? Do you think it's better or worse than Holed or Tooled? Frankly, I think this particular coin is on par with a lightly cleaned coin, but I really dislike the way this alteration is described - and I'd be furious if I bought one raw, thinking it was straight gradable and got this kind of news after submitting it. https://www.pcgs.com/news/from-the-pcgs-grading-room-surface-smoothing-and-other-metal-mischief
    1919dha1.jpg 1919dha2.jpg

17. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

That sucks, smoothed is just as bad as tooled! :banghead: Nice coin btw!

MIGuy likes this.
  18. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

Nice looking 1919-D. I don't see anything wrong with it, those scratches are small, I would not think those made the detail grade. But what do I know, I have a hard time seeing the defect on a detailed coin. (I can spot the holes on a detail coin)

Do wish there was a note from the grader that saw the coin to explain why any coin gets the detailed grade, when you look up the cert number.

MIGuy likes this.
  19. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... I'm not seeing in your coin anything that looks similar to the examples in the link you provided. Maybe @Insider will drop by and explain what I'm missing.

MIGuy likes this.
  20. Hambone1946

Hambone1946 Well-Known Member

After looking at the truvuew I can see that some work has been done between her legs below the knee. That is the only place that looks messed with.

MIGuy likes this.
  21. samclemens3991

samclemens3991 Well-Known Member

Will try again. According to my PCGS reference book smoothed means someone tried to buff out minor scuffs and scratches. Does not say HOW this was done. james

MIGuy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted