Guess the NGC grade PF 1897 $2 1/2 Gold Liberty

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bedford, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Well - Ill give you guys a bit of info to base you guess on. I sent the coin to NCS 1st . It was conserved & crossed into a NGC slab.
    I could have taken the pic a bit differently but I think it would have affected your guesses too much ;)

Keep in mind this picture was taken before the coin was sent to service-
    Good luck-

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

PF-65 Cameo

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Any hairlines?

The reason I ask is that grades on coins like this are highly dependant on hairlines, and your photos are taken in such a way that if they were there they would likely not show.

If no hairlines, I see at least a 64 CAM designation, and quite possibly higher.

Regardless, proof gold is SUPER COOL, and something I've always wanted to own -- so thanks for sharing!!!...Mike

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I say PF65 CAM.

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Not that I have a clue what I am doing with gold, but PF65 Ultra Cameo.

7. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

64cam due to the slide hits from storage in an album, obverse has it pretty good, as would happen in an album.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'll say 66 with a cameo designation........

9. CamaroDMD

Is that what causes those lines that are visible?

10. Leadfoot

I believe Jack is referring to the high-points on the obverse that have less frostiness. That said, I'm not necessarily convinced that a slide caused this (you don't find many proof gold pieces in holders with slides, frankly). Personally, I would guess that it is what's commonly called "cabinet friction", but it could also be what Jack suggests, other types of mishandling, or just a lack of frost on the original die. I'd want to see the coin in-hand to make a determination one way or the other, but I'd say the odds are against the chance that an album slide cause the feature we are referring to.

Respectfully submitted as MHO...>Mike

11. CamaroDMD

OK, that makes sense. I see the loss of frost on the high points now. Thanks Mike!!!

12. Leadfoot

You are most welcome. :D I'd be very interested in Bud's assessment of these areas (after he gives us the grade, of course).

13. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Wow ! What a scorcher.

Based on the photos, it's a PR64 DCAM. Yes, there is minor funk on the obverse - chin, eye, curls at the temple. Between date and star 1, around star 5, above the cornet. I personally don't think it can go 65.

From your comments, I'm assuming the coin was photographed raw.

Hot coin ! :thumb:

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Now Jason this is just not playing fair :loud:

You ask us to estimate grade on something that didn't look that way when it was graded. Nonetheless, I will make an assumption based on what I think NCS was able to do to improve the look and say that they ended up grading it 65 DCAM.

15. CamaroDMD

I was thinking the same thing to be honest. I am curious though...what about this coin made it unfit to be graded? Also, what could NCS do to fix that? I have always been skeptical of this whole NCS coin restoration thing...doesn't that seem a touch like cleaning a coin?

16. GDJMSP

It's not that it was unfit to be graded. You don't even want to send coins that are unfit to be graded. That's the biggest mistake people make when sending coins to NCS. You want to send coins that can be graded, but that can be improved with conservation.

In other words it could be crud that could be removed, it could be overly dark and unsightly toning, or it could be spotting like on this Proof coin. Remove it and the eye appeal factor increases substantially.

And yes, in a technical sense it is cleaning. But since few people ever remember to make the distinction between cleaning (which is no problem) and harsh cleaning (which is a problem), they call it conservation. That way most folks don't get mixed up.

17. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I see green stuff on both sides, which leads me to believe it was sent to NCS to remove PVC residue. I really see just a couple of hairlines, so I'll guess PF-65 cameo....

18. GDJMSP

You may be right there ksparrow, didn't see any green at first but if I tilt my monitor just a touch - it does have a greenish cast.

And if it is Richie, the coin would be ungradeable unless treated.

19. CamaroDMD

OK, that makes sense now. Thanks GD!!! :thumb:

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

hmm...

I grade it BEAUTIFUL-64 Cameo

21. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

OK,OK, your right it is a bit unfair. I thought the pic would be a bit more represenative of what it will actually look like. (its not back yet) .

Here she is before conservation-

You are correct,The reason I sent it to NCS was for the touch of haze it had-(not PVC) .This coin was is a moster & I wanted it to have the best treatment & chance availible to get what it deserved in my opinion.
    The coin was stored in an old coin envelope for about 50 years & that is probably what caused the "slide" that AZJack was referring to.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted