Guess the Ike Grade - IV

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Atarian, Aug 2, 2012.

?

PCGS grade is:

Poll closed Aug 4, 2012.
  1. MS63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MS64

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. MS65

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. MS66

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. Questionable color - UNC details

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Your thoughts? Coin has a light golden tone that does not show up well/at all in the pictures. PCGS says this coin is...

Answer in two days.

1976_type_2_obverse.jpg 1976_type_2_reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

4. pballer225

pballer225 Member

Did you get that one from me? :D

5. I will say MS66. TC

6. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

ms-65 here ... hopefully i will fare better with the Ikes than with rlm cents' polls!

7. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

8. Pacecar

Pacecar Well-Known Member

I voted MS64 because the other votes swayed me up from 63. I am definately no Ike expert, but I see a lot of little nicks that I think would stop it from going 65-66. Nice Ike, though.

9. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

MS-65. Hair looks like a weaker strike. Hit on the nose and around the date that doesn't look like planchet flaws.

10. Atarian

Not this one, but another one did come back at MS67... :eek: (not really!)

11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I bounced around between 65 and 66. I think the fields are too clean to be a 65 so I'll be postive and optimistic tonight and say 66.

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

If that's less than a 66, I will be surprised. If it grades less than 65, I should probably consider collecting a different series. lol

My thought process upon seeing the coin is this: Immediate reaction is it's a very clean for an Ike. Die flow lines suggest very strong luster. Although present, there's not too much die chatter either. Rims are clean and relatively nick free. The only thing that causes me some concern is the slightly different hue shown in the photos along the neckline and jaw. Also tough to be sure, but I suspect the mark through the date is on the slab.

The gold toning that is typical on these coins is very attractive to me, too. That's a super coin in hand, I'll wager, regardless of grade.

So, all of the above said, the optimist in Tater and I prevailed (it usually does), and I guessed 66.

13. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Knowing the TPG'ers, that 66 has a details lablel.

14. Atarian

PCGS MS66.

Thanks to all who played!

1976_type_2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted