Guess the Ike Grade - II

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Atarian, May 30, 2012.

?

Guess the 1976 Type 1 Grade

1. MS62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MS63

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. MS64

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  4. MS65

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  5. MS66

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Artificial Toning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Guess the PCGS grade - 1976 Type 1.

Will post the 'official' grade in two days.

1976_P_Type_1_reverse.jpg 1976_P_Type_1_obverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Assuming that scratch on the reverse is on the slab, I will say MS65.

4. Atarian

It is NOT on the slab but the camera has sucesfully highlighted it.

5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

If the scratch is on the coin, I'd have to go for MS 64. Obverse is definitely better, but they are going to downgrade it for the scratch.

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Well then. i am not so confident. It does appear to have booming luster, so I will stay with 65.
    I also notice the bell has a big crack running down it!

7. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

i'm going low; ms-63. the cheek looks noisy and to the right of the head also. the reverse could be worse or it could just be the air-tite it is in. however, i am not an ike expert, or any type expert for that matter.

8. I am 100% sure this one is either an MS63 or MS64. Given that your first guess the Ike grade on the 1972 Type 2 got a bump up from PCGS, I will go with MS64...final answer. :) TC

BTW: If this one goes MS65 or higher, I have some Ike coins I would like for you to submit on my behalf. :smile

9. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

PCGS probably said said 65, as Ikes are notorious for there dings, hits, and planchet flaws.

10. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

You really have to see this coin in hand because it looks to have alot of annealing which is common with ikes.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I undergraded the last one.

This one looks 66 to me and that's what I guessed. Certainly clean enough for a 66, but how's the luster. Toning appears normal too -- typical yellow hue in MS clad coins.

Here is my own 66 (again, old crappy photos):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll guess 65. Nice coin.

13. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

I'm going 65. I can't fathom lowering it to 64 or bumping to 66 with the reverse scratches like that. Toning looks natural to me as well.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

reverse scratch is on the slab, I'll wager.

15. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

16. Atarian

You guys are pretty good!

Thanks for playing.

76-P T1 MS65.jpg

17. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The coin looks better in the picture with the holder than the close up. I said 64, but can clearly see the 65 in this shot.

18. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Since I missed the 72 T2 so bad, I'm glad I got this one correct. Very nice coin Atarian. I LOVE these guess the grade IKE posts!!

19. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Wow I really missed that one!! I've noticed that Eisenhowers grade better than my instincts tell me. Is it the large surface area of the coin that allows the coin to have more bag marks per area? Is that even taken into consideration with TPGs?

20. Wow! I have been off on both of your Ikes so far. I seem to be a tougher grader than PCGS. I do have a raw 1976 Type I Ike sunning itself on a window ledge in my house that may need to go to PCGS pronto. TC

21. Atarian

TopCat I dunno - the ones I send in seem to get hammered. I look at their on-line photograde dealie and compare them to ones I have, and other PCGS Ikes I have in hand, and for some reason they usually (75% of the time) come back as less than I expected. Sometimes much less. I have to buy the high graded ones already slabbed.

Leadfoot that Ike is awesome, by the way.

miedbe7 the Ikes for some reason usually show horrible annealing chatter. I'm not sure if this is because this was the first big coin the mint did in copper-nickel or what. I have a NGC 'mint error' blank planchet and it looks as if Jack-the-Ripper was really ****ed off at it. Here's an example: http://www.jmscoins.com/store/product.php?productid=16318&cat=261&page=5

Draft saved Draft deleted