Guess the Grades of these Tiny Moroccan Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by physics-fan3.14, Jun 10, 2017.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

These two little creatures were in my mailbox yesterday. They are tiny! These are 1 Muzuna coins from Morocco, and are smaller than a US dime. While the mintage for these is 3 million for the 1320, and 1.85 million for the 1330, these are actually quite hard to find in good condition. I included an animation of the 1320, to give you a little better idea of the surfaces. So, guess the grades!

IMG_2702 copy.jpg IMG_2729 copy.jpg IMG_2759 copy.jpg IMG_2814 copy.jpg 1320-obv.gif 1320-rev.gif

Curtisimo and ddddd like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

1. The 1320 looks circulated to me from the photo...the high points appear to have rub or wear.. I'll go AU 55

2. The 1330 looks like the surfaces are virtually unblemished, the details appear sharp, and it gives off the idea that there is plenty of luster...I'll go MS 65

4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Talk about being outside of my wheelhouse...

The 1320 looks like it's been lightly circulated. I would guess AU-53 maybe AU-55 on it.

The 1330 looks uncirculated to me. I would put it at MS-65RB

5. physics-fan3.14

You guys are close on the second one. NGC called it 64BN, but I could absolutely see it as 65 on a good day.

Y'all are way off on the first one, however. This one is tricky, because it is dark. That's why I showed the animations - watch how the light plays on the high points of the lettering.

Anyone else want to try a guess on the 1320?

6. physics-fan3.14

Ah well, looks like nobody else wants to play.

The 1320 was also graded 64BN by NGC. Looking at the animation, you should see that there is no interruption of the luster on the high points. The coin is dark, and I wouldn't be offended by a 63 grade, but this coin is significantly above average in all respects for its issue.

7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Grading copper is certainly not my strong point. Those high points can fool me quite a lot. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted