Guess the Grade!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Speedy, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Alrighty guys---here is a Guess The Grade---Jefferson Nickel.
    I just got this coin off ebay---It is going to be sent back to PCGS because it has some PVC growing inside the slab!!! I talked to them yesterday and think we can get it worked out.

When grading this coin please grade what YOU grade it, what PCGS graded it, and if you know...what variety this one is!!
    This is the ONLY one of this type that I have been able to find that has been sold online. I know that NGC has graded less than 5 of this variety.....PCGS doesn't give the POP for such a variety so I don't know what their numbers are but it can't be much higher IMHO.

I paid what some would call strong money for the coin but I'm happy with it and I think it was a good buy. I've not been able to find any more of these either for sale, or listed on the PCGS Registry.

I think Oldman is the only one who knows the grade and variety because I asked his help with the POP of this coin---so his guess doesn't count :D :D :D (Just kidding!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

My guess would be EF-40/XF-45...

Take Care Hoss
    Ben

4. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

Without my book handy I would have to say vg or fine with all the reverse wear. I don't grade Jeffersons so purely a guess.

5. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

My internet connection must be slow because the reverse pic did not come up the first time I viewed this thread. Now that it has load in its entirety I will say VF. Too much wear for a XF, but close. Jusy my opinion.

6. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

I'll say VF and it is a small S.
    I don't see any RPM.
    Looks like inverted MM!

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

VF, Small MM.
    and PVC at no added cost.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

XF 40 is my guess. No idea on the variety.

9. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I'll second that

10. Oldman

Oldman New Member

XF weak strike reverse.

11. Brit in Texas

Brit in Texas Senior Member

^ exactly what I was going to say. Inverted MM. There appears to be something going on to the right of the MM but couldn't say if it's an OMM, I'll guess not...

12. Speedy

I will go ahead and say that the coin is the scarce variety of the Inverted Mintmark. While The Cherrypickers' Guide put a number guess of 2 known, we all know that they were low. I keep an eye out for such varieties and this was the first one I had seen. I searched Heritage and as far as I could tell, they never have sold one. NGC has graded one VF and one MS66. I'm glad I could add this little coin to my collection!! I'll post the grade later on!!

Speedy

13. Speedy

Alrighty guys....since no one else has guessed I'll go ahead and post the grade.
    PCGS graded it XF40. I think this is a borderline coin with it either going VF35/XF40. With the ammount of wear it might should go 35. Market grading kicked in on this one since it has the IMM.

All in all, I'm pleased with the coin---

Speedy

14. nickelman

nickelman Coin Hoarder

Great variety acquisition Speedy! If for some reason you ever get sick of looking at it I have a good smoke free home for it in my collection LOL! I don't currently have that variety!

15. Speedy

Hey Nickelman!
    If you ever come accross this variety I would be interested in knowing. (not to buy it, but just knowing about it being out there). This one was listed on ebay but the seller pulled it....after talking with her for awhile I closed the deal and was quite happy.

Speedy

16. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Without peeking, I'll say higher end VF, and PCGS said VF-30-VF-35. And I'll take a stab in the dark that the variety has something to do with the mintmark. :D ;)

Phoenix :cool:

17. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

please let me know how pcgs resolves the pvc issue inside the slab. Thanks.

18. tommypski

tommypski Coinaholic

Hmmm, I've been wondering about this one I have, thought the mint mark looked funny so I bought it. am I seeing things,....????

Attached Files:

19. Speedy

I just got the coin back today from PCGS. It cost me around $20 to send it and get it back....but I'm just glad that they removed the PVC. I'm pretty sure that all they did was dip it in Acetone or something close. The coin is graded the same and such....

Speedy

20. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

I am curious what did PCGS agree to do?

21. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I say VF-20, without looking at any other posts on here, lets see how I do

Draft saved Draft deleted