GUESS THE GRADE.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by coins776, Feb 24, 2014.

1. coins776

coins776 no title

40.jpg 40a.jpg guess the grade.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

4. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

I know nothing about Gold coins, so, here we go... MS-60. Looks like photos are not meant to show you the coin surface.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think I see wear on the head-dress. I'm going to say EF45.

6. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I see it too, but gold coins aren't my thing but this is a series I'm about to get into.

8. CamaroDMD

I want to get into this series too...so I'm trying to learn about it. I have been studying up on the grading.

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

With just a littlen searching, I've seen prices all over. Some of that could be because I don't know what the key date/mints are.

10. coins776

coins776 no title

the coin was graded MS63 by PCI

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Whoa! I thought that scratch would bump it down more or DETAILS grade it.

12. CamaroDMD

Well, PCI is known for overgrading.

13. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No offense intended, but if you ever want to sell that coin, you've got to get better pictures. I don't know how much is focus and how much is compression -- it looks like there are problems with both -- but I'm seeing EF-level detail, especially on the headband.

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I never would have seen it, I don't even look at bottom tier TPGs...and it's not MS.

16. CamaroDMD

I completely agree with you that it's not MS. I really think EF is reasonable...maybe AU. I know some of the dates had strike problems...but I think that was more of an issue with the branch mint coins.

That said, I wouldn't completely ignore lower tier TPGs. The reason is...everyone else does. Completely ignore the holder and look at the coin. Sometimes, you can find nice coins underpriced because they are in these holders. You just have to trust your knowledge as a grader and know what you are doing. I would never do it with a gold Indian because I'm not knowledgeable enough...but with a Morgan, no problem.

MKent and Jwt708 like this.
  17. coins776

coins776 no title

the reason that i bought the coin is because i wanted to own at least one gold coin. this is the first gold coin that i have ever purchased, and it is the highest priced coin that i have ever bought. the only way that i could afford a coin that cost this much, over $300.00, is to put it on a layaway plan. i have requested to cancel the layaway order for this coin. thanks for all of the replies.

18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

$300 May not be bad for an EF, barring any other problems (like cleaning, etc.).

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I understand the attraction of that first gold coin. :) Are you looking for a problem-free example in MS or near-MS? Not interested in modern $5 1/10-oz eagles?

Since you were considering this slabbed coin, I assume you're not looking for something you can actually handle. I'm hoping to one day have a set of all the common denominations where I can hand a coin to someone and say "this is what gold coins felt like". I've got a heavily worn eagle and half-eagle already, and a couple of ex-jewelry Type 1 $1 pieces that are good for surprise ("that's really tiny!"). I'd love to have a quarter eagle along the same lines, but as you've seen, they carry more of a premium over melt, even in lower grades or problem coins.

20. coins776

coins776 no title

i was thinking MS or at least a nice AU no problems coin. i had considered buying a $5.00 1/10-oz gold eagle, but i don't really buy modern coins.

21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Hey coins776, I saw a couple on eBay in AU-low MS range, graded by PCGS & NCG that were close to your budget.

Draft saved Draft deleted