Guess The Grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Speedy, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Hey Guys
    I'm working on a set of Washington Quarters getting AU/BU coins---the Keys are the ones in AU of course!
    I got this coin tonight on the auction---no fair if you go to see what they graded it--:eek: :hammer: :hammer:

Guess the grade---I kindof over paid alittle for it---but it really jumped out to me and I also didn't have this date so I got it anway----I'm not a large fan of toning but the toning also jumped out to me----like some of my other sets I'm working on it with raw and slabbed coins but hope to one day have them all slabbed---I can pick up most of the dates already slabbed for cheaper than slabbing cost...

BTW--NGC graded this coin....I've got some more Washington quarters in the mail and maybe I'll post another one of these threads next week...

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

MS66 is my guess.

4. toddestan

toddestan New Member

I want to say MS67, but that might be because I quite like the lovely toning on the coin. Very nice acquistion :)

5. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I personally would call the coin a 66, but I could definitely see it getting a 7. The fields are pristine, and the toning is beautiful. There are possibly a couple very light scuffs on the cheek, so I also wouldn't be surprised to see a 65. But I think the right grade is a 66, as I said before. :)

That toning is really outstanding.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

Like the toning, nice and golden ;) Nice one speedy!
    I am not going to guess at the grade, washingtons are not my thang.

or if i had to guess i would say its a gem bu;)

7. CoinOKC

CoinOKC Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

MS-65. There might be a nick or two on the right of the eagle's head and on the top of his feathers on the right. Also, STATES looks like it might have taken some very minor hits. I'm seeing a little scuffing on the cheek also like Zane said. All that I'm seeing is probably on the slab, though. It's a very beautiful coin, Speedy and one I'd be proud to have in my collection.

8. NathansCoin

NathansCoin New Member

I would like to say it MS 67 but there appairs to be a few very very small nicks which coulds be the slab, also semi low luster. But the tonings very nice and soft. I would grade it MS65 by that picture, but i like i said i might go higher if i saw it in person . Very nice example speedy.

9. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

Nice toning, but not outstanding luster.. MS-65.

10. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Great looking 2Bit piece. Hmmmm, MS-66

B

11. Speedy

Well I'm going to go Vote and such and then maybe later on today I'll post the grade---
    BTW---I hope each and everyone of ya'll if you live in a state where its election day you go and VOTE!

Speedy

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I always vote, it gives me the right to gripe.

As for the grade: I'd say it should be a 66. But, I hope that you got a 7.
    As for the toning, great. To those who don't like it: you just don't like toning.

13. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I'll take a shot at 65. The cheek holds it back from going higher. That is pretty neat toning on the reverse. Great pick up there Speedy..

14. Speedy

Ok---I was going to wait till late tonight to post the grade but here in a bit I'm on my way to the Courthouse to watch election results come in---

NGC gave the coin the MS65 grade!....IMHO the thing that holds it back from going higher is the little big of "damage" to the bottom of the date---see where it looks flat--IMO that was caused by a rolling machine---I could be wrong but that is what it looks like---grading companies will still grade these but I think it does cut the grade down---none the less I think its a GEM and it will say in my collection!---I've found that coins on Teletrade sometimes goes off really cheap---I know that the extra % is added on to the total and shipping but if you win more than one its not soo bad---I was high bidder on 2 lots but was out bidded at the end---oh well!

Speedy

15. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Its worth every bit of 65 and then some in my book. Nice coin. :)

Ben

16. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Speedy,
    I don't think that is damage from a wrapping machine but I may be wrong. I was looking at some quarters with the same look as yours, and I inquired if it was a wrapping machine, but I was told that the coin was not fully struck up in that area. Hopefully someone else may be able to confirm or deny this, as I'd like to know : )

17. Speedy

Zane
    Well maybe after I get my latest research done I can work on this---
    I do know that I've seen this same thing on many coins---on dimes/quarters/halves....one thing that kindof I thought made "cents" with the wrapping machine was that its almost aways near the rim of the coin---of course that could also be what you said as the rim and detail near the rim would be the place where the detail would be missing the most if there was a weak strike---

Speedy

18. DJCoinz

I would but I'm only 15, LOL. Only 3 more years...:rolling:

19. DJCoinz

Too bad I won't be 18 in time to vote against Hillary. (YUCK!)

20. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

keep the politics outa here, we just argue about coins ;)

21. Speedy

Alrigthy---I didn't mean to get this off topic---but since it is going that way I'll close the thread---thanks for all of the guesses...

Speedy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.