Guess the grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zaneman, Jan 11, 2006.

1. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Here we have a PCGS certified morgan dollar. Keep in mind when grading, that 1900-p morgan dollars nearly all have horrible strikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Nice! Ms-66-pl

B

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Every time one of these threads is posted, I immediately go looking into Heritage's archives for comparisons. This time, the first half-dozen MS65/66 examples I looked at all had far better strikes than the pictured coin. For that reason, I'm going to guess this one went MS64, although I'd believe AU55.

None of that changes the fact that it's a beautiful coin, which I'd be happy to own.

6. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

I would say MS65. However, because of what appears to be a weak strike, I'll say MS64. The hair above the ear is a bit flat. I am by no means good at telling what that's from, but it appears to be as a result of the weak strike as opposed to wear.

It is a beautiful coin, weak stike or not!

7. Leadfoot

This coin is normally weakly struck, and will not get a downward bump in grading for being so, IMHO...Mike

8. Leadfoot

This coin is normally weakly struck, and will not get a downward bump in grading for being so, IMHO. The real question in my mind is if the luster is strong enough to be a 66. It looks a bit quesionable, so I guessed 65...Mike

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

No way

AU 52 tops. Its worn.

Ruben

10. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

IMHO....this coin can't be graded by the photos....the scan or photo has washed out the luster--the week strike on this coin is also something to remember.

Speedy

11. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

MS-64/65 The high points in the field are extremely weak though!

12. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

I would GUESS MS63 PL, not sure if the hair is worn or weak strike, if it's the strike, MS64 PL.

13. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Okay, I'll post the grade. It's an ms-66, not pl. I'll post a pic of the holder soon.

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

See this is something I can't go along with. If it is wear or strike, there is a significant mark off the ideal coin with the hair. If this year and date has very few MS 66s, so be it. There is no need to move the grade to account for the strike.

Ruben

15. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

The strike is one thing that decides the grade....you don't grade a weekly struck coin like you do a coin struck with full detail...that is where many people mess up grading...I do it lots...I forget that such a coin is weekly struck and therefor miss out on many good deals

Speedy

16. Leadfoot

Still think so?

Never question my MS morgan grading ability. ;)

17. wyattreally

wyattreally New Member

I was going to say MS64 but I see I was off. I have been concerned about telling the difference between poor strikes and slight wear for a while so thanks - I find these 'guess the grade' things good fun as well as highly educational. Speaking of which I bought my first slabbed coin today so I had a place to start when thinking about the grades of my raw coins (I love taking chances... it's the thrill you know). I got burned on about two coins out of 30 so far and I am on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to purchasing power so I think the percentages are pretty good so far.

18. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

ok, so here is the most important question. Knowing that PCGS calls this a MS66, would any of you be willing to "invest" MS66 money in a coin with that weak of a strike? I know that if I was going to get a MS66 Morgan I would demand that the strike be better than that, especially if strike has no impact on grade (as proffered in this thread)!

19. ben

ben New Member

WOW I just caught this link kind of late but it sure looks like a lower grade coin to me, but I am no expert!!

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I too would say 65, even giving benefit of the doubt to luster. And even though PCGS says 66, I think they overgraded it by 1.

21. Leadfoot

Luster is difficult to get right in photographs, that's why I really hesitate when I see photographs of coin with 66 surfaces. It could go either way -- 66 or 65. In hand, you'd be able to tell instantly which grade it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted