Guess the Grade PCGS 1941-S Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Jan 26, 2015.

?

Guess the assigned Grade?

1. MS64

8.1%
  2. MS64 FS

10.8%
  3. MS65

35.1%
  4. MS65 FS

16.2%
  5. MS66

18.9%
  6. MS66 FS

10.8%
  7. MS67

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. MS67 FS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. GENUINE (please explain in comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (please explain in comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of this PCGS graded 1941-S Jefferson Nickel by voting in the attached poll.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always, comments welcome!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Well, I guess this will be interesting. The nickel looks 66 NO FS to me. The steps look really nice but the gash should knock it out of FS designation. We'll see what the TPG says.

Mike

4. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I personally would not grade it FS (by strict standards of "no impeding" marks that bridge steps)...but I think PCGS probably did give it FS. I guessed MS66FS...since I presume you wanted me to guess what PCGS graded it, not what I would grade it. ;)

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

64 FS. Steps are close enough. There is a pretty big hit on the cheek, and quite a few little chatter marks on both sides. Luster is great. Could be a 65 FS, but I'll stick with 64fs.

6. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Going with MS66 since that is what I think PCGS graded it. Don't know / won't guess on the FS on this one. I wouldn't say it has FS, but perhaps they did. I think I would grade it at MS65 or MS65 + if I could.

7. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I just don't think it has the luster for a 66, but then again, I let the TPG and CAC do my grading for me. :p

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

9. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I voted 65. I think the hits on the cheek and jaw bone as well as a few hits on the reverse hold it back from a higher gem grade. The steps unfortunately have that hit in the center running from the bottom to nearly the top that completely interrupts them.

10. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

voted 65fs using the 1/4 method and completely missed the gouge across the middle. maybe pcgs missed it also. :)

11. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Funny 'cause it's true! ;)

geekpryde likes this.
  12. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

By definition, it couldnt be FS. And with the nicks on the cheek, I'll play it safe and say 64

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

This coin is a perfect example of why you must check the steps of every Jefferson Nickel graded full steps by PCGS.

[​IMG]

This coin simply does not belong in a full step holder. In addition, I'm a little surprised it is graded MS66, I think it would look better in an MS65 holder. That spot on the collar is very distracting IMO.

furham likes this.
  15. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Yea I saw that black spot on it an couldnt tell if it was a foreign particle encapsulated or maybe a pepper flake on your holder, lol. i guess 65FS so i guess i was kinda right? :)

16. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Dang, that is one of the most egregiously wrong grades I've seen in a while.

furham likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted