Guess the grade part 3-King odf rupees

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by spock1k, Oct 10, 2008.

1. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

Ladies and gentlemen this coin is considered the greatest british india rupee coin of all time by some. with mintage of less than 500000 mint state specimens are not available easily (or at all).

I was going to post this as the last coin ( number 7) but here it come sin part 3 enjoy

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rupee

rupee New Member

Lowest mintage-- yes, most scarce-- no. I can get 10 1897 ones for every one genuine 1939!

Let us call this a queen amongst Rupees!

A really nice catch-- congrats!

4. rupee

rupee New Member

Oh as far as grade goes-- need better pics. :p

Guessing AU58 - MS62 (pics suck but the wear I can see on the hair can well be weak strike)

5. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

try getting 10 you wont even get 3 :D even if you empty your bank account

6. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

39 is a dime a dozen. ever heard the term hoard :whistle:

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Well I just finished with your Part-2 coin and now I can see another world one and like with the last one small pics. Don't you have very many American coins for us to grade? I don't know anything about these except they look real good. So I guess I'll observe, again. I hope this isn't a contest where you can win a prize or something... :(

8. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

Very nice looking coin. Congratulations!

Regards,
    Ballabh Garg

9. rupee

rupee New Member

Can you please explain why the 1939 Rupee realizes more than the 1897(C)? ;)

I have seen more 1897 Rupees on sale than 1939-- and the latter was seen only once by me in auction this year. I do have a 1939 example and that was obtained after an effort. If these are indeed available dime a dozen then please let us know where to get these. (I am serious and not being sarcastic! ;))

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

dont worry if i give these awya as prizes then it will be the former spock collection :D

i am trying to find coins that i have pics of that i have not posted on here. I dont have digital pics of 90% of my collection and you know i dont keep coins with me so i am stretched but i am glad you are enjoying the show :)

11. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

the same reason a 400$ mohur is now realizing 4000$ ;)

i am sorry but i cant reveal my sources for getting coins as i get them for great prices the 1950 proof set was acquired for $12 a similar set sold on ebay for $500 or 800 i cant remember exactly and many more cases like that so but FWIW most prices for indian coins are artificially controlled through hoarding.

I am thinking about going into the coin business in the near future if i do ill be happy to sell you some stuff ( at your prices of course :D) but yea dont be impressed by what you see because most of it is a mirage. Hyderabad mohurs have sold for 1500 recently and thats a bullion coin

A case in point the 1916 anna that sold on the bay for over 300 was sold as a hoard to someone at 10$ a pop and there were more rejects than what the dealer bought so....

12. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

Thanks. I actually had to overpay for the coin but he held me ransom.

13. rupee

rupee New Member

You are comparing apples with oranges! :desk:

This is the reason why a 1897 Rupee which used to cost $50 or so now goes for more than $400 and the 1939 Rupee $400 to $1800 or so!!

people might argue that ebay is for bidiots and the real value is determined from the actual price people might pay in open market at auctions (non-ebay) and coin shows! The 1950 set similarly sells for the equivalent of $400 or so in India.

I have not heard of the 1939 hoard and if any serious India collectors have please let me know. If you have any 1939 Rupees for sale for catalog value I would buy them all since now according to you they are priced next to nothing!

14. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

you really need to get a reality check on the prices. you dont get a ms 1897 rupee for 400 or 1939 rupee for 1800. earlier you were saying that one 1939 rupee can get 10 1897 rupees so what was that based on? what a set sells for in india has no bearing here in the us market. I did not say they are priced to nothing i said they are available at the right price if you know the dealers. I suppose you have not heard about a hoard of mohurs either but just think about it where have all those coins minted disappeared? the problem is theories remain just that and facts come out in the open sooner or later.

15. rupee

rupee New Member

spock, I think I will not try to debate any issue with you since you are always right!

Now you are saying a hoard of mohurs are found and so the price increase and with a hoard of 1939 Rupees found they are still priced way above the 1897!!!!!!!!

The prices I gave are based more on circulated coins since data for MS coins is not diverse. FYI around the same time earlier this year a BU 1897 C Rupee sold for $300 on ebay and a BU 1939 Rupee sold at US auction for $1800 with juice. There have been no recent sales on a BU 1939 Rupee that I know of, though the 1897 C sold for north of $700 or so on ebay.

FYI the prices of 1911/1921/1922 Rupees was $150 for BU in 2001 or so when a hoard was discovered and they plummeted to $30 for BU and now with the general rise in prices again recovering.

Please provide specific instances of recent sales as I have done instead of just passing vague statements. Of-course you would say you purchased all of them in private sales and we would all have to believe them! ;-)

16. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

you dont have to believe anything i say and i dont have to believe anything you say. From your statement above it is very clear you have no idea about the price of coins in different grades or of recent sales and some of your statements like the 1911/21/22 being sold for $30 is downright false. Also sometimes you say ebay is for idiots and then you turn around and quote ebay prices. all you have mentioned is 2 instances of ebay and are asking for specifics by calling me vague. People on the forum know me and what i stand for and i dont have to give away my sources no matter how hard you try. its not worth it pal because you are not going to get it ;)

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I love seeing pics of your coins, your coins are stunning! It's just that, when it comes to something like this one, for example, I'm not a common sewer...I mean, connoisseur. I lack the knowledge to enable me to appreciate these as they deserve to be appreciated. But let the show go on, I'm learning as I go along. :)

PS: Oh why don't you just level with the guy? Rupee, I gave him my source, it's GRS (Guido's Rare Stuff)...get fine jewelry and furs there, also, often at discounted prices!

18. rupee

rupee New Member

:)

19. rupee

rupee New Member

spock, please re-read my post. I never said the 1911 coins are $30 now but were some time back and now recovered.

I am not asking for any private sources, just the ones which are in public domain like sixbid and auctions listed there-- very recently Baldwin's auction had a 1897 but no 1939 one. This 1897 fetched $600 or so and the Ponteiro auction for the 1939 BU fetched $1500 or so if I remember right. I can give you more sources like Todywala auction in India where there have been a lot many 1897 Rupees than 1939.

If you do not want to reveal even these sources then just the time frame of auction, condition of coin and prices realized should do!

Please check ebay and would get one more listing of a 1897 Rupee.

You have some nice coins no doubt, but that does not entitle you to make statements without any basis or proof.

Now please prove your point with proofs (without any statements like being a forum heavyweight). :D

20. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

as i said rupee members here dont have to prove their statements are true thats not how it works you have to prove that the statements are not true. The baldwin auction 1897 rupee that you mention was a cleaned example and went way over $400 that you had decided was the price of the 1897.

The debates are a complete waste of time. A my mentor says you are either here to learn or to teach arguing gets us nowhere. I am saying this one last time if you get it good if you dont no problem. Indian coins are hoarded to create artifical scarcity in the market. The mohurs are being hoarded and released slowly the 1939's are being released even more slowly. The price of 1911 and 1921 have come down for the same reason while the 1922 has actually gone up. The indian coins world operates like that in fact some of the heavyweights dont even operate in India. If you think six bid or the diana collection or ponterio auctions are a good way to determine prices I have no comment on that. I dont need to pay those prices most of the time and i do not. I dont collect circulated coins generally so most of my coins are MS and all my coins are boxed by the big 2.

the way to learn IMHO is not through debates and arguments but through research and reading. Understand that indian coins are different from us coins and go read the examples i gave above about the 1/4th anna and others.

21. rupee

rupee New Member

They are not if they are conducted properly! If for no debate you would never have learned that the 1840 Rupee you bought referred in another thread is not the one the slab, dealer and you were insisting was! It is up to the individual to learn from the discussions, unless you are stubborn and insist on knowing all.

All types of gold I agree with your statement. This is the reason along with desirability of these coins for the prices shooting up. I can't be sure but this is also the reason they carried the other coin prices too. It is news to me that the 1939 pieces are also hoarded. What is the source for the same? If they indeed were being released slowly then how come we only saw a single MS example in the last 3-4 years? Surely they are not released that slowly.

Also the 1897 has much lower mintage than the 1939 so why are these not hoarded???

How do you think Krause get their pricing from? :D
    Admitted that they have not updated their pricing for a very long time and is in need to do the same now. The prices now are a joke and should not be relied on.

As for the cleaned 1897 Rupee at Baldwin's, here is the picture. If it is cleaned then all my PCGS/NGC coins are also cleaned. :rolling:
    Check for yourself and decide--

image00841.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted