Guess the grade part 1

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by spock1k, Oct 9, 2008.

1. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

to celebrate my upcoming 8000 posts i will post 7 coins one each day and we will play guess the grade and i will post the king of rupees in the world coin section on day 8 to celebrate me going back into retirement

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

AU-58......cleaned.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nah, PCGS holder.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Scratches on holder?

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I think the scratches are on the holder and since I know what spock likes it will start with MS. My thinking is that this is one nice coin and maybe MS63. The pictures have a glare that makes it hard to see.

7. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

PCGS says MS63.

Great luster partially makes up for distracting hairline on both sides, particularly the reverse.

8. Coinfreak~24

Coinfreak~24 Active Member

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Although some may be, the majority of those lines on the reverse aren't scratches, nor are they hairlines, they are die polish lines. They are on the metal because the die put them there.

The coin does display some hairlines on the obverse but it looks like it may have been done at some point way in the past.

This coin hasn't been cleaned IMHO, it is just bright white and has been properly stored for a long time.

My guess is PCGS MS-65.

10. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

I will also say MS65 and yes, the scratches look like die polish lines. To me, it appears that they are on the lower parts of the design (the fields) and not the raised parts...which would indicate die polish lines. It's a very nicely struck coin my fellow Vulcan.

11. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Nice coin spock. Its beautiful. MS 63 maybe 64.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'm just watching Spock but I just want to say my glasses are scratch-proof plastic. For all the money you guys are laying out, and you want to show off these coins, of course, I mean you'd think they wouldn't be so cheap!

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I believe Mike's right, they are die polish.

That said, I'd still grade the coin no higher than 64.

14. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

assuming most scrathes are on holder...I will say MS-66 (I only see tw flaws on the whole coin)

stainless

15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

WOW, that is really white for over 140 years old. I think it might have had some help. I give it MS64.

16. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

very good guys :thumb: your reasoning is solid before one can even get the grade right or wrong you have to understand the coin first.

17. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

no Harvey you are not to grade coins send Mr green back :)

18. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Well Spock, let's have it!

19. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

here is the grade definitely PQ if not a wee bit undergraded

Attached Files:

20. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

:eek:Wow that's a beauty I would say 64 ,but it's hard to tell by the scratches on the holder the fields look pretty good/ I guess i posted to late but i did hit it on the head

Jazzcoins Joe:whistle::whistle:

Draft saved Draft deleted