Guess the grade on this nice 1914-D Lincoin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bedford, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

IMO a great coin that has an interesting die crack that runs up the entire lapel. It doesnt show well in the pics but appears to be a later die state from what I've seen . . Another in a current submission going to PCGS. Feel free to post your opinion & I'll put up the results when it comes back.

enjoy-J

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

WOW! Stunning coin! I can see luster on the obverse under the browning. The only issues I see are subdued reverse luster and some lamination on the reverse rim. Other than that it's a beauty! Where did you acquire it from it you don't mind me asking? You don't see these this nice in the raw very often.

MS-63/64 RB or BN....hopefully RB. A lot is going to hinge on the luster IMO. On a grumpy PCGS day 62. On a very grumpy day the dreaded "recolored"....but I don't think it is.

4. Bedford

I purchased a complete set the other day in my shop. Supposedly it was purchased in 1970 & has been stored since then.In hand I am leaning to MS64 but who knows with PC & copper lately . The "big dogs" are going on a 5 day & about 30 others from the set are slow boat submissions. The set had a few proofs in it as well & 3 or 4 with very nice toning with hues of green,aubrun & robins egg blue. So hard to capture that color ...

Check out the 09-s VDB I posted in the got wood thread-

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I cannot read your luster well, but that would be the only thing I see to keep it from a 64 barring the dreaded "recolored". Not that I see something wrong, but that is also difficult to see from pictures.

What do your 14-S, 15-S, 24-S, 25-S, and 26-S look like? If they are the same category as these two, you have one @#$@ of a set!

6. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

If it grades, my guess is that PCGS will call it 63RB.

Although it is "Red/Brown", the "Brown" is evenly distributed, which is always a plus.

If your photos were better - maybe showing some more luster - I might not hesitate to call it 64, but judging only by what you've provided, I'll stick with 63RB. :)

7. Bedford

The 14-S has UNC details it was lightly cleaned/wiped at some point. The 26-S is a sharp UNC ,RB with iridescent toning. The 14 Proof is awesome ,the obverse is RB with great color tone ,the rerverse is Brown subdued with heavier flat tone.

The others you mentioned were AU or had some type of issue.

My pictures still are not doing these justice.

Attached Files:

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If that 26-S is original, it would be worth a couple bucks - at least!!

9. BadThad

Whoa....some stunning coins! What does the 11-S look like?

10. BadThad

Agreed, it looks like a 66BN to me.

11. Bedford

I think it will come back brown too. Now if it comes back a 66 I dont know what I'd do LOL. (1st I'd clean out my pants) then Maybe have a REALLY big contest or something.

12. Bedford

Unfortunately it is AU63 with a big scratch .

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

To be the first ever by either NGC or PCGS? The highest brown right now is 65 BN or 2 66's both NGC RB's.

14. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Oh my. This is pretty exciting. Please let us know how they turn out.

They look remarkable. But the TPG's are very fussy about raw exotic copper. And old collectors weren't kind to them, by today's standard.

I hope you hit a few home runs!
    Lance.

15. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I say 63 RB on the 14-D. I love the 14 proof. It looks like you got yourself a great set.

16. Bedford

Got some grades back....

The 14-D is 64RB , the 23-S is 64RB , the 26-S was 63BR, The 14 Proof was 64 RB, & the 09-S VDB was 64RB , not pictured was 1909-S/S MS64+ RD

17. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That 26-S must be awfully drab because it sure is clean for a 63. That 23-S is worth more than a couple bucks also. What happened to your 14-S?

19. Bedford

The 14-s is on ebay as a raw ungraded coin . It has nice tone but with the past cleaning I thought it would be best suited to be sold there.

Yes the 26-s is pretty drab - I also had (2) other proofs come back as questionable color.

Draft saved Draft deleted