Guess the grade on this 1799 draped bust dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zaneman, Jan 2, 2007.

1. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Just picked this one up, should be in hand soon. It is in an old ANACS slab.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I believe that it will go VF-35 and is slightly off-center on both the Obver and Reverse but more so on the Obverse. Very nice coin zaneman! What did this one set you back?

The Other, Other Frank

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I don't follow these coins closely at all, but from what I've seen the TPGs grossly overgrade this series. Taking this into account, I grade the coin VF details, cleaned, net F so my sense is ANACS graded it VF 30 and didn't net grade it at all....Mike

p.s. Zaneman I hope you're not angry with me being hard on the coins you posted, and hope you appreciate my being honest with you.

5. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Looks VF-35 to me.

Ben

6. srkjkd

srkjkd Book before coin

i agree w/ vf-35. even has a little more hair detail than on a pcgs one i compared it to. incidentally...what did anacs grade it? and can u feel the envy from here?

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

VF-35, for sure (maybe a bit better, say XF-40?) Nice piece, can I visit it?

8. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I bet ANACS put down VF35 on this one and didn't note the cleaning since it doesn't look bad...

Speedy

9. NathansCoin

NathansCoin New Member

I say VF35 or maybe XF40. The only one i have is "Fine". But its the same slanted date and 7/6 star obverse, and 13 star reverse, A very nice one to have.

10. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

I think this coin is VF-30ish, how about ANACS VF-35.

11. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Leadfoot, I'm not upset at all. There are technical graders, and there are market graders, and the difference between the two is quite large at times. It's always good to hear opinions from the conservative end, and the looser end.

Anacs put this in a 35 holder. I agree with their grade based on what I have seen in the marketplace, and current grading standards.

12. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Oh, and to answer the other other franks (lol) question, it set me back 2600 which seems like a fair price to me, given vf-20 bid is 1800, and xf bid is 3400.

13. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

I think it's a great looking coin Zaneman! I'd love to have an example of one myself someday.

14. Treashunt

Was it in their standard holder? And no comments about cleaning?
    That is great!

15. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Yes Frank, it is in their standard holder, with no mention of cleaning. : )

16. Treashunt

Nice!

Draft saved Draft deleted