Guess the Grade on my new Morocco 100 Francs

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by physics-fan3.14, Nov 26, 2017.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Saw this beauty. Had to have it. Guess the Grade!

IMG_3060 copy.jpg IMG_3069 copy.jpg

ddddd, jj00, Theodosius and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

MS-66 (no clue here)

4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

WOW!!! I'd say MS-66 shot at 67. It's a gorgeous coin.

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

66 star ...star for semi pl and eye appeal

6. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

If PCGS they would crank it to 66
    if NGC 64

7. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

8. physics-fan3.14

For a bit of fun comparison, here is another one I own, graded NGC MS-66. Do you like the original one better, or is it lower graded?

JPW664 reverse.jpg JPW664 obverse.jpg

9. physics-fan3.14

Just curious, could you explain what you see that would put it at 64?

10. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Don't get me wrong, love the coin, TPG's IMHO, tend to be wrong, this coin has seen little use, bag marks , scratches, Etc, in France it would be SUP leading into SPL .. I.E. 64

11. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

I just love the coin....

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

I like the new one (in the first post). It looks more colorful and lacks the spots on the reverse (which, while not overwhelming, are still noticeable).

Galen59 likes this.
  13. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I don't like it and I would not buy it because of the tarnish but I would guess NGC MS68 and you paid about $150.

14. jtlee321

I think the first one is a tad nicer than the second one you posted. Both have very nice eye appeal. Compared to the second one at MS-66, the first should be 67. It's just cleaner and sharper struck.

Kasia and ddddd like this.
  15. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

16. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

66 NGC
    67 PCGS

On the Stork scale, it grades "IBI" aka "I'd Buy It".

I cheated and didn't see a 67 at NGC. Even if it's numerically lower (though I doubt it using the other 66 as a baseline), it definitely is preferable, assuming both are equally well represented by the photos.

ddddd likes this.
  17. physics-fan3.14

Good guesses, everyone!

This coin is actually graded MS-68 by NGC. If you look closely, there are almost no marks anywhere on the coin. The luster was not captured well by these images, but it is flashy and bright. The eye appeal on this coin, however.... oh my gosh, it is spectacular. The obverse toning is some of the nicest I've ever seen. I know someone mentioned that they wouldn't buy it because of the "tarnish," implying they prefer blast white coins..... but this thing is gorgeous.

jj00, ddddd, Stork and 1 other person like this.
  18. jtlee321

I would not argue at all with the MS-68 designation this got. Compared to the 66 you showed, it prompted me to change from my initial guess of 66 to 67. I can only imagine how gorgeous this coin is in hand. Well done on a spectacular pick-up.

19. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Agreed--knowing there wasn't a 67 in the census, I erred on the side of hyper-picky (on things magnified by a huge picture). Beautiful and a great addition for you!

20. physics-fan3.14

I understand that ;)

I'm trying to build a really world-class set of Moroccan coinage. Whenever possible, I'm trying to get the absolute highest grade available. So far, I've been really lucky. As I get into the earlier material, I'm finding it to be a bit more expensive and stretching me more than I'd like.... but I'm making progress.

21. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Draft saved Draft deleted