Guess the grade of this Lincoln - with a twist

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Here is a Lincoln that may be why ANACS started grading each side separately. Oh! Do I wish that the reverse were as nice as the observe. Anyway, what grade would you give the observe? I will post the reverse later tonight

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Picture looks a bit washed out, but I'm going to go with a VF-30 obv, with a bit more contrast in the picture I might be able to see if the cheek is separate enough to go XF-40

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'll go with lack of contrast in the picture XF-40 .
    rzage

5. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

Full bow-tie, looks like a pretty good beard...a little washed out around the critical cheek area, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say possibly unc. More contrats will either prove my guess foolish or spot on!

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Based on the obv only - MS62.

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

MS I-can't-grade-from-your-pictures

Squint real tight, hold both your thumbs and forefingers together until there is just a pinhole and look through the hole ;)

Uhhh - that was supposed ot be the quote button I hit there
    :headbang:

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Is This Pic Any Better? Sorry about the lint.

Attached Files:

9. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

62 RB, could go as high as 64 RD

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Sorry about the pic. In hand, the observe is a nice strike, with all the details showing including a lot of the whiskers on the beard and good luster. I could see it getting a 65 RB, but I would probably call it 64 because of the overall appearance. The reverse is also a nice strike and it may be redder than the observe, but through something (grease?) by pluribus and one. And there are a couple carbon spots. Anyhow, ICG netted it out as a 62 RB.

BTW, there is a fair die crack at about 4:00 on the reverse and a small one between the "IN" and "GOD".

Attached Files:

11. GDJMSP

I estimated my grade at 62 because of all the tiny hits all over the obverse.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The only thing you could be seeing on the observe as tiny hits would be lint.

13. GDJMSP

All I can go by is what I see. Take a closeup of the shoulder, from the hairline to the bottom. Then a closeup of the area in front of Lincoln's face.

Attached Files:

• a 1.jpg
      a 1.jpg
      File size:
      78 KB
      Views:
    • a 2.jpg
      a 2.jpg
      File size:
      62.1 KB
      Views:
  14. Arizona Jack

Exactly what I saw as well

Seems pretty strictly graded, and the rev is not really that bad. Crack it and get more money for it I bet, or resubmit raw and try for the 63.

I have seen 65's ( at least the holder said so ) like that too yannow.......

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Yes, there is some chatter on the shoulder, but I have seen that much chatter on many 66's and even some chatter on 67's. However, there is nothing on the coin in front of the face. That is lint/holder.

16. Arizona Jack

If thats the case, you need to crack it and submit ( in person at Long Beach......ignore the airfare, save $10 on sending it registered mail ) to either PCGS or NGC for a try at that 63 or 64. It'll stand a good chance at 64 !!! ( forget the 65 with the weak reverse ) but 64 could happen easily.

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Doug,

I said that I have seen MS66 coins with as much chatter as on my coin. Here is a pic of the 1944-S MS66 by NGC - the $350,000 coin. I have tried to make the pic the same as your pic. I will grant you that the 44 is a better strike (and a better pic), but I think my coin actually has a cleaner shoulder than the 44.

Attached Files:

18. GDJMSP

Never doubted that you had seen them, I'd have to say this is one of those where they screwed up on the grade - badly. It happens, of that there is no doubt.

But as for your coin, I really don't think it should grade higher than 62 based on what I can see in the pics.

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I could probably find another 20+ without any trouble just from my coins with just as much chatter. My guess is that NGC ignores it - at least until it gets out of hand.

As to my coin, I just think that the front could be a 64 while the back is a 61/62 and probably lucky to be graded at all due to the spots.

20. Arizona Jack

It is sooooo hard to grade from pics, I'm going to quit trying. Pics can go either way, exagerating or covering.....you never can tell unless it is in hand.

Yes GD, it took me a while to learn this. I should have listened to you a over year ago when I joined this forum

21. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

At the risk of starting another forum war, IMO that coin was market graded to a 62 and its surfaces are clean enough for a much higher grade. But it (and I mean no offense) lacks eye appeal -- thus the markey grade downward.

And GDJMSP, keep your paws off my posts! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted