Guess the Grade of my Other Christmas present!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by physics-fan3.14, Dec 26, 2018.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This beauty had been on my watchlist for a very long time. The seller was asking way too much. However, for Christmas, the seller put the coin on sale - and then Ebay had a great Christmas deal on top of that. So, it wound up the coin was a good price.

Anyways, let's play GTG on this one. This Moroccan coin is about the size of a US half dollar - a great, big, beautiful piece of copper.

So, what do you think?

IMG_3492.JPG IMG_3489.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I don't know the grade but I love that design. Moroccan coins sure do have some beautiful designs.

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

MS 65

Looks fairly clean throughout but there are some marks scattered around the coin. Also, is it the picture or do the rims have damage (first photo on the left and second photo on the right)?

Overall a simple yet elegant coin!

5. physics-fan3.14

I love the geometric patterns of the Moroccan coins. That's one of the primary reasons I collect them.

Go ahead, guess the grade ;)

The pictures are honest and show the condition of the coin as it is.

ddddd likes this.
  6. ddddd

ddddd Member

I know your pictures are honest. I should rephrase my question.
    Are there cuts on the rims and/or a small chunk missing?

I'm guessing the grade was not affected by the rims, but I'm curious to hear your take on them.

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The gouges at the top left of the obverse and on the rim should prevent a gem grade, MS64.

furham and Kasia like this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

There are some hits on the rims. This is unfortunate, and hits on the rims are accounted for in the grade. Keep in mind, however, the rims are considered a "tertiary" area for grading (central devices and focal areas are primary, fields and surrounding areas are secondary, rims and out of focus areas are tertiary). Marks in a higher tier area will count more heavily against the grade.

ddddd likes this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

10. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

11. physics-fan3.14

Good guesses, everyone. This is graded as 64 RB, and I think that is the correct grade.

If it didn't have those unfortunate hits at the top of the obverse just outside the star, this would probably be a 65.

dadams and longshot like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted