Guess the grade--NGC 1925 Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Nov 14, 2008.

?

Guess the Grade

1. AU58--(AU64)

22.2%
  2. MS65

33.3%
  3. MS66

27.8%
  4. MS67

16.7%
  5. MS68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of this 1925 Peace Dollar in the poll above and then provide your reason for you grade in a reply.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Have fun with this one guys! BTW, Heritage Photos

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I'll take the AU-64 route by a process of elimination. I personally say MS-64, but I would need to see the luster in hand to really say.

4. TC2007

TC2007 Senior Member

I've been lurking around here too long, it's about time I got off my duff and participated. I'm going with MS-64. I can't see any signs of wear at all. But, where's the toning??

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

here's something I don't know if you noticed TC... it's in a fairly recent NGC slab and if you look at the survey options, 64 isn't there. My guess is that it's a beautiful coin with just a touch of a rub on the high points that are hard to see and therefore AU-58.

6. TC2007

TC2007 Senior Member

My bust, meant to say MS-65. Remember, it's my first guess, so the odds are astronomical it's wrong!

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

NGC 67 holder?

At first glance I thought it was higher than 65 so that is where I started. After looking at the un-zoomed photo I figured that the photo is at least a 66 or 67. It has full luster and I see no primary or secondary contact marks and an absolute minimum of abrasions. The minor abrasions causing a few breaks in the luster keep me from going into 68. It is a rare thing to see & I can only imagine what the coin really looks like. I'm going to guess that it made it into an NGC 67 holder.

It is difficult to make this guess without looking at NGC populations & without considering who started the thread.

Very best regards,
    collect89

8. Lehigh96

Thank you for the compliment, but this might make it easier. I don't own the coin, I just thought it would be a nice learning exercise.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

66. Overexposed photos make it a bit difficult, however.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm gonna say MS-67.....virtualy flawless, no bag marks. Seems well struck with lots of luster.

11. b.j.

b.j. Senior Member

There appears to be slight amounts of wear on Liberty's hair above the forehead and on the eagle's head. It is only a slight amount of wear so I will say AU-58.

12. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

i would say Ms67 focal areas are clean reverse is nice no bag marks obverse has some blemished to the right on the fields minumal bag marks eye appeal is good a little weak on the obverse strike, but not that bad all an all a nice Ms67 Doe's have a little dipping look to it

jazzcoins joe:whistle:

13. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I said MS-65. Assuming the scratch in the field on the obverse left side going through the N and the scratch on the neck are on the coin and not on the plastic. As well as a perpendicular scratch across the eagle's wing. Possible ding at the bottom of the A in America. Could also be the photo.

Otherwise this is an awesome coin. The fields are almost perfect. Main parts of the design such as Liberty's face, not a mark to be seen.

At least a 65, but likely no more, because of the marks that are there.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I suspect they slabbed it as an 66, but I don't really think it deserves it. It's a strong 65 though.

The coin has booming luster and mark free in most of the places you would normally look. This distracts you so you don't notice the marks the coin does have. But look at the bottom of the neck, the top of the hair just off the right of the last ray. Marks in the field going up from IN, another just under the Y and under the R and a few small ones between the rays. On the reverse there some small hits under the M, in the letters of OF, another on the E, several small marks hidden in the eagle feathers and 1 bad one dead center.

All in all a gorgeous coin, but a deceptive one.

15. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I see a die crack I don't know if this is slabbed as a vam/ I indicated were the die crack is in red check it out.

Jazzcoins Joe:whistle:

Attached Files:

16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Nice clean I can'r see any wear , MS-66* Acording to ANA M-66 can have several small with a few in prime focal areas , the flaws are minor and few in prime focal areas .
    rzage

17. skrilla

skrilla That Guy

Comparing it to mine, I would say Au, 65, or overgrade.

The scratch on the left, the mark on the chin and the contact mark hidden in the hair are most obvious to me. Looks like a crack on the neck and minor contact marks. There's a few contact marks I did't highlight cause they didn't seem important. Might be a cud by the ear?

Harder to see the reverse for me but mine has more marks than this one(from what I can see).

That's my guess.

Attached Files:

18. Lehigh96

Here is a photo that is a little smaller in size. Sometimes the large photos magnify the abrasions on the coin.

[​IMG]

BTW, If anyone can guess why I am doing all this, I will be very impressed.

19. skrilla

skrilla That Guy

when ya put it like that..

67?

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Possibly in the same way that a 5-7x loupe would compare to a 10x loupe...

21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Ms-65

I know there not many Peace dollar above MS-65 and 66&67 are very rare. and I don't think we have any Billionaire here???? but we may.but I vote MS-65

Draft saved Draft deleted