Guess the grade--NGC 1901-O Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Oct 10, 2008.

?

Guess the Grade

1. AU58--(AU64)

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. MS64

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. MS65

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. MS66

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. MS67

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

We have not done a simple guess the grade in a while. Please view the photos below and cast your vote for the assigned grade in the poll above.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:cool:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

I like that purple hue it has :)

4. Lehigh96

Me 2 :)

5. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

From the photo it looks like a 64 to me.

6. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I say MS-64, I like the purple toning, but not enough luster for me to go a 65. But still a nice coin, is it yours?

Phoenix :cool:

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I can't really tell, but my first thought was it looks flat in the fields on the obverse. Kind of the look I expect on AU58's. These pictures make it tough and with the coin in hand I could certainly change my opinion.

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

It looks better than that to me, possible as high as a 66, BUT, its a washed out photo. I'd like to see more contrast.

Under proper lighting, you might well be right. The ear lines and hair above the ear have clean and distinct lines. The eagles breast can be better defined, but seems pretty good with no missing feathers.

Ruben

9. Lehigh96

Same photos but I backed off the brightness & contrast a little.

[​IMG]

BTW: This is my coin.

10. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I saw what you're talking about right away too. I don't know though. I really wish I could see a better picture of the reverse. I'm going to say MS-64. I'd like to see it in person though.

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Yeah - I LIKE this coin and the O's tend to be soft strikes although I'm not certain about this particular year.

I stand by what I said, it is an easy 66 IMO. I might grade it higher but I don't know how to separate a 66 from a 68. Is there a nick on that soft silver. I'm going have to go back and look with my reading glasses on.

Its a VERY nice Morgan.

Ruben

12. Lehigh96

Perhaps a gander at this thread will help.

http://cointalk.org/showthread.php?t=40664

However, you don't need to determine whether or not it is an MS68. The population of this coin in MS67 is 14/0.

13. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

[​IMG]

OK - just to review this. Look at these 6 spots on your coin

1- the cheek is completely clean, but not only that but the field in front of it of it is just clean and smooth with great luster. The strike of the eye is just so delicate. She flirts with me. This, IMO, is rare.

2- The hair has strings and separations, a key element to any higher grade Morgan, especially an O.

3 - All the fruit and leaves in the cap are crisp, scratchless and clean

4 - The left wing might have fewer cross lines in it but every feather and element is present and clean,

5- The right side is even crisper!

6- The Breast doesn't have the deep detail in this picture. I'm willing to bet, however, that if I'm holding it in my hand, that I could see almost complete detail. A lot of coins go down on this breast, and the higher 60 MS's need nearly perfect strikes. But this just doesn't happen with coins from the New Orleans mint. Furthermore, I see no marks on the breast. We can use a close up of that sections but its a very nice coin.

In addition, there is no rim dents and no scratches in the fields.

This coin is nice.

MS 66.

Ruben

14. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Much better and now I would say MS64/65. On the first set I could not see the hair, eagle and feather details. I can also see that the luster looks consistent across the coin and the toning in the pictures are hiding the mint luster out towards the rims, but I see it. No matter what that is one nice coin.

15. Lehigh96

Thanks, but I am not going to reveal the answer until GD chimes in. I bet he nails this one.

16. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I agree with you again. The feather detail was one of the reasons I was reluctant in giving my opinion of MS-64. Now I'm thinking it is a solid 64.
    Like others have said, very nice Morgan :)

17. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I see a small mark near the corner of the mouth, and a couple of tiny ticks on the neck of Liberty. I think it's a 65, strike a bit better than average for this NOLA issue, I believe. Now it is a very attractive coin, great coloring, would that be enough to put it into a 66 holder? I don't know, but if it is, whoopee! Have you seen the price jump between 65 and 66?

18. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

OK, let me give this a shot.

My first thought when I looked at this was to look very closely for wear (even more than I usually do with MSish coins posted) because of Lehigh's fondness of "AU64" coins. With this coin, looking at the hair above the ear and breast feathers...I don't see anything that jumps out as luster breaks, so I'm inclined to think that this coin is in fact MS.

I see a couple little tiny nicks on Liberty but nothing that hurts the eye appeal. The eagle on the reverse is about the same. I think it's enough to keep the coin from grading MS67, but nothing more severe than that. The fields on this coin do have some bag marks but again it doesn't impact eye appeal much. However, I do see a couple marks...the one specifically on the obverse below the L that does stick out. Combine this with a good strike for an O minted coin, and I'd call this coin MS65.

So, MS65 is my say.

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Probably not, I voted, just didn't post. In my opinion the coin has too many hits on the reverse to be a 65 so I voted 64. But given the clean cheek wouldn't surprise me if it is slabbed a 65.

20. Lehigh96

Well, IMO, you still nailed it. I agree that the reverse has too many hits in the fields to be a solid MS65. However, in fairness to the TPG's, they openly admit that they lend more weight to the obverse (especially Morgans) and they routinely grade MS65/64 (obverse/reverse) coins with an MS65 grade.

[​IMG]

:D

21. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

I tend to be a bit conservative. But I voted MS64. Nice purple

Draft saved Draft deleted