Guess the grade--NGC 1885-O Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Guess the grade of this 1885-O NGC graded Morgan Dollar. Please give your reasons for your grade as well. If you are really ambitious give your opinion of the technical grade and it's resultant market grade and why.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Irespire

Irespire Senior Member

Pictures are not big enough to detect a potential slider, and the toning would make it hard anyway.

I'll go ahead and say MS-64. I think most morgans in NGC slabs are overgraded. It might be in a 65 or better.

4. Lehigh96

I will post a bigger photo of the obverse but please keep in mind that large photos enhance any minor flaw and make them appear worse than they actually are.

[​IMG]

5. Irespire

Irespire Senior Member

Still can't see any obvious wear. I might be wrong, though. Nice coin!

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd say the coin is a solid 65. The coin is exceptionally clean but the strike is not good enough to warrant 66 IMO.

7. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Yep

8. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Kinda tough. From the obverse it seems a typical New Orleans strike with weak central details. But then the reverse says otherwise. I think it's wear. AU. (unless the reverse isn't as well struck as the pics suggest. Then I'd go a lot higher).
    Guy~

9. Irespire

Irespire Senior Member

Too many hits on the reverse for a 65, IMO. I don't know though, you're right that it's hard to tell without the coin in hand.

10. Lehigh96

OK, I was just being lazy, here is a bigger photo of the reverse.

[​IMG]

11. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

64 would not suprise me either, but I say bumped to 65 for the clean obv and color, even with the only typical O mint strike

12. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

With a better look at the reverse, I'd say 65.
    Guy~

13. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

My thoughts exactly. NICE looking coin.

14. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Sorry, looks AU-55/58 to me. Hmmm, do you have pics which show the coin on something besides white background?

15. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Here ya go.

Attached Files:

16. Lehigh96

Well that is a new request, I will assume you want black instead.

[​IMG]

17. srkjkd

srkjkd Book before coin

very pretty coin. i think i could go to 65 on this one. typicla obverse new orleans strike and that the marks on the back or more attributable to die clash or cracks...thank you for sharing...sincerely,,,,steve

18. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

agreed

19. vavet

vavet New Member

I think you and I are on the same page here, Ben. When I look at a coin, I think in terms of what I think it's worth, not what's on the label. In that sense, I agree with you in that I would never pay more than AU money for that coin if I were to make an offer, which I wouldn't because well struck 1885-O Morgans aren't that hard to find.

Chances are that coin is MS and chances are that NGC gave it a 65.

20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think NGC graded it MS64*

21. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

MS65.

I'm assuming the weak hair detail above the ear and flat breast on eagle are due to the famous New Orleans weak strike, not wear.

Great luster, very little bagginess. The pictures exaggerate minor luster grazes. I bet this is a very nice coin in hand.

I would call it MS65, but wouldn't be shocked if it's holdered 66.

Draft saved Draft deleted