Guess the grade--NGC 1881-S Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Guess the grade of this 1881-S Morgan Dollar and please provide your reasons for the grade. Opinions of the coin are also welcome.

[​IMG]

:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

MS-66.
    The toning is great, but NGC generally isn't a big fan of toning.

Some field marks, but really nice.

4. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I'm gonna say MS65, but it could easily be a 6.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The field marks keep it from 66.

Without the toning, it might be 64.67852

It would need to have blazing obverse toning to get an NGC star.

The toning being atractive keeps it MS65. That's my guess.

What grade is on the holder?

Very best regards,
    collect89

6. tight wad

tight wad Senior Member

I'm not qualified to grade anything yet, but, it really has sharp detail of the breast and neck feathers on the bird for a coin that old.
    Excellent coin.

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Guide Book of US Coins by RS Yeoman

Hello Tight Wad,

The coin depicted has good strike and no evidence of wear on the high points. It has not seen circulation. There are thousands of this date dollar which exist in this uncirculated condition. There are probably also thousands of this date that exist in circulated condition.

You can learn much about coin grading from one or two good reference books. Every US coin collector should have a copy of the Guide Book of US Coins by RS Yeoman. This book is inexpensive & it is commonly called the "Red Book" because of its red cover. You may also consider getting a copy of a grading standards book either from the ANA, Whitman Publishing, or PCGS. I'd recommend that you personally look at many coins which have been graded by individuals & 3rd party grading services like PCGS, NGC, and ANACS. It is best to review many coins and their grades BEFORE you invest your money into expensive coins.

Note that most experienced coin collectors avoid buying coins that look like they have been cleaned. Please preserve your coins for future generations and don't clean your coins. You should probably avoid buying any coins that look cleaned & buffed-up unless that is really what you want to collect.

Very best regards,
    collect89

8. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I'll say MS-65 atleast, good chance at a MS-66 IMHO. I like the toning on the obverse how it is. :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

9. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

This is a very nice coin. The Reverse Toning is very attractive. This coin should be at least a MS-65 possible a MS-66.

Not sure from my photo if the mark under the eye is on the Plastic Slab, Bag Mark or Nick in the coin. These would be the biggest determination for me if it were a 65 or 66.

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

The cheeks are clear only a couple pf small rubs in the fields , MS-66 . :thumb:Love that toning .
    rzage:):hatch::hammer:

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think you've got it, buster. At least, from what I've seen, in the not-so-distant past, NGC, I agree, would have given this coin a 66, and wouldn't have adjusted that grade, up or down, for the toning.

12. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

66, no star. Clean, avg Smint strike, nice but not outstanding.

13. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

I would say 65, good strike, a few marks here and there. It's hard to tell if the toning is hiding any marks.

14. Lehigh96

Here is another photo from Heritage.

[​IMG]

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

leaning toward MS 64.67

Seeing the 2nd photograph, I'm now leaning toward MS 64.67852
    Best regards,
    collect89

16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm going to say it's MS-65. I think there are too many marks on the field to go any higher. IMHO, this coin could even go MS-64 because grading tends to be stricter on 1881-S Morgan's in particular...but since it is a very attractive coin I'll go with MS-65.

17. Arizona Jack

This shows the difficulty in grading from pics......new pics change the grade, lol

18. Lehigh96

AJ

Does that mean you are changing your mind from a 66 to ?

Everyone has until midnight at which point I will post a photo of the holder.

19. Arizona Jack

I'm sticking with the 66, just laffin at the difficulty pics present. :)

20. Lehigh96

Well get ready to laugh some more AJ because nobody was even close on this one.

[​IMG]

:thumb:

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Second pics make it look there is a fingerprint, first pics do not. Based on first pics - 66. Why ? Clean coin, good eye appeal.

Draft saved Draft deleted