Guess the grade--NGC 1880-S Morgan Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Guess the grade of this 1880-S NGC graded Morgan Dollar. Please give your reasons for your grade as well. If you are really ambitious give your opinion of the technical grade and it's resultant market grade and why.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one should be a bit easier than the last one. I will reveal the answer for both at the same time.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You're gettin tricky :whistle:

4. Lehigh96

there is a method to my madness that will be revealed at a later time

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Uh huh, kinda figured that ;)

6. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Toughie is right.

I'd call it a 65, but with the color, it may have a star or a 66 on the holder. A little soft over the ear for an 80-S for a 66 without the color. That hit at the eye hurts.

7. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'd say MS65*. I think there are a few too many marks to make MS66 and the color (although awesome), isn't enough to raise the grade a point...but does earn a "*"...so, MS65*

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I've seen better. That said, I don't think the hair above the ear is a problem in this series. But technically I'd have to give it a 64, although I can see it going 65. Market-wise, the brokers need their piece of the action, that's why the TPGs grade so high, and I've seen much worse grading 65 from NGC. I don't have their database, but I'll go, market-wise, at least 66, possibly 67, because I think it's a pretty one.

9. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

First thought was a MS-65, and I think that's a safe guess. Debatable on the star IMHO, depends on the grader at the time IMHO. But, I wouldn't be too surprised either way (if or if it didn't get a star). Still, yet another beautiful Morgan, nice!!! :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Hey, hold your horses a minute!

+
    +
    = I think we've just been had?

11. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

I'd say 64, but it may be slabbed 65 with the toning.

12. Lehigh96

It appears that Eddie does have a very good understand of the difference between Technical Grading and Market grading afterall even if he does want to change the definitions. Here is a photo of the slab.

[​IMG]

13. Arizona Jack

Whoa !!! SWEET !!!

14. Irespire

Irespire Senior Member

I disagree with the grade of 66 because of the bagmarks. I'd go 64*. The other one WAS a weaker strike but it had less bagmarks.

15. Lehigh96

AJ,

How about quadruplets. Look at the serial numbers. Someone found a bag of 1880-S Morgans that had a whole bunch of beautifully toned pieces. Not as big of a find as the Battle Creek coins but still impressive.

[​IMG]

16. Lehigh96

I would invite you to read my explanation in the Market Grading vs Technical Grading round 36 thread. Remember though, you are trying to grade a coin based on a photo. Some of what looks like bag marks are actually just luster grazes. This coin is extremely impressive in hand and I promise is deserving of the MS66* grade.

17. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Typical in Morgan photos... at least they are on mine. Always much better in hand than in photo.

I was gonna go 65, maybe 65*. Great coin ! Congrats !

18. Irespire

Irespire Senior Member

Is a luster graze just a light mark? And I'm sure it does, it's just blown up in the photo so its easy to see the negative points.

I saw your post but I'll read it in detail soon.

That being said, I'd like to own a morgan dollar that looks like THIS. I have a nice 1899, the reverse has almost literally NO marks, but the obverse is pretty bagmarked. Not much toning, either.

19. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Tech grade 65 , Market grade 66 because it is so darn pretty .
    rzage

20. Arizona Jack

Another case of grading from pics.....I swear off it , then get complacent and do it again only to get smacked down again. LOL, you'd think I'd learn by now to keep my mouth shut, lol.

21. Lehigh96

Huh:confused::confused::confused: Your original post was that is was a 65 that had been bumped up to and resides in a 66 Holder. That is 100% correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted