Guess the grade, my latest Morgan Dollar.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ocjoe949, Feb 17, 2015.

1. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

I don't specifically collect Morgan Dollars. Frankly I collect almost any type of gold or silver North American Coinage or bullion. Every now and then I get the Morgan bug and feel like buying one. So here it is. I'll post a couple of good pictures. After a few replies I'll put in what I paid for it and grades can be reassesed. Although you can't really judge by the price because I could have underpaid or overpaid. Have fun and thank you in advance for any feedback or comments.
    Morgan.jpg Morgan1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

4. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

I agree with MS 63 with a shot to MS64, if the cheek is not serious injured.

5. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

The pics look more like a painting, would prefer to see more background....I'll say MS-65. Is that toning on the reverse ?

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nice luster.......I'll say MS64.

Chris

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

8. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

MS63 but it has a lot of luster so it could've been bumped to 64
    I just think the marks hold it back a grade for me. If Idhair said 64 I will concede to him he is far more knowledgeable.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Actually, I was going to call it a 63. When Chris pointed out the luster, 64 sounded right. It's a nice coin at either grade.

MKent likes this.
  10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I would say strike was 63, but with the luster it got a 64. Nice either way.

11. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I think MS62 due to marks on the face but TPG-graded as MS63.

12. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

MS-64, This coin was slabbed as MS-64 by PCGS and still has a reasonable amount of contact marks on the obverse, even some rim hits.

oberse1234.jpg 20150128_124142.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    thetracer likes this.
  13. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I was going to say 64 before the result was posted. It has contact marks, but they are very typical for a mid grade MS Morgan, and nothing excessive. Nice blast white clean coin--probably dipped at one time, but nice and clean looking.

14. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I do think that they posted the result already.

15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Contact marks on the devices of a 63, luster of a 65. I'll say 64.

16. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Have you checked under the tail feather for an E clash? it looks like there might be something there but i might just be seeeeing ghosts

17. cpm9ball

What result? Where was the grade posted?

Chris

18. cpm9ball

One of the problems I keep forgetting is that photos tend to show more distracting marks than a grader would normally see with the naked eye. If I had this coin in hand, I don't think the facial marks would look as bad.

Chris

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

20. GoldFinger1969

I think the biggest problem I have with the Sheldon Grading System is that it's still not very specific.

For instance...bag marks. They are marks but they come from the coin being put in the bags upon being created by the mint. Unless a coin was individually removed/treated (very rare decades ago for business strikes, I think only proofs) you're gonna get them.

So I understand why they would be considered less bad than a circulated coin which takes some dings. But how many bag marks are tolerable before you fall below MS-65, the (unofficial) Gem dividing line ?

If a coin ONLY has bag marks, how many take it down from an MS-70 to an MS-69 ? 1 ? 2 ? OK....then how many from an MS-69 to an MS-68 ? MS-68 to MS-67 ? MS-67 to MS-66 ?

My experience is that the number INCREASES as you go lower -- which is OK -- but it's never been quantified.

How many bag marks is maintaining luster worth ? IOTW, if you still have your luster, can a few more bag marks be tolerated ?

If the bag marks are on the reverse or on parts of the coin that are less noticeable, shouldn't this count for more than a coin which has marks across the main device (say, Liberty's face) ?

21. GoldFinger1969

Coinman, the 2nd set of photos is much more useful for grading purposes. The 1st batch looked like it came from a book...you can more easily see the coins luster and shine in the 2nd batch (though contact marks are a bit easier to see on the larger 1st obverse shot).

coinman1234 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted