Guess the Grade Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ddddd, Jul 26, 2019.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here's another interesting Morgan I saw (not mine).
    Please guess the grade. :)

zzzz.jpg

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

Though I think the tone is questionable
    MS66

Penna_Boy likes this.
  4. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Something about the tone. MS 64

5. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

6. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

MS64... (Questionable color)... only because there must be something weird for 'D' to post this. ;)
    Or... could be a market graded MS 65/66.

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This one is tough....

Strike is good, a bit of weakness in the hair, but not much.

Luster is going to hurt this one - the obverse luster is hidden in these pictures by the photo technique (highlighting the toning). The reverse luster appears creamy, which isn't going to generally get a high grade. I'll assume the obverse luster is similar.

Eye appeal is strong, in my opinion. The toning appears natural (at least, there isn't anything standing out that raises red flags). I'm a fan of the purples and blues on this coin. Is the eye appeal enough to bump it up a grade? Maybe - but probably not without the corresponding luster to make it pop.

Contact marks: the reverse is nearly flawless. The reverse is easily a 66 in terms of contact marks any day. The obverse is where this one struggles: there is quite a bit of action on her cheek, and even more in the field in front of her face. To me, the obverse is a 64 in terms of contact marks.

Putting this all together.... 65? I say this because the obverse eye appeal is strong, and the reverse is extremely clean. With the contact marks and the luster, I'd put it at a strong 64, but I think it has what it takes to make 65.

8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

MS 64. The toning is NOT questionable—it is mint bag toning. It is a very attractive coin. Contact marks in the left obverse fields say 64 to me, rather than 65.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Ms 64
    nice looking Morgan.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice looking but I'm at s 64 due to contact marks and what appears to be a lack of luster. Maybe it's the photos.

11. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

Why would you say something like that? ;):D

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I see an MS 64 with a really nice reverse. A star or plus would be appropriate, but I don’t think it would make MS65.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

Ok, so you were right. :D

It graded MS 65 and I don't agree. It has the contact marks of a 63 and with a color bump should max out at 64.

zzzz2.jpg

15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I was at 64+ until I saw you posted the grade already. Weird that got away with all those marks.

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Nice. You got a break, it's a technical MS64 on its best day.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  17. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It is a technical 64 for sure, but got the color bump to 65. The star was well-deserved, for beautiful color alone.

eddiespin likes this.
  18. ddddd

ddddd Member

No break for me as it's not my coin.
    I'm still not fully over my technically superior and also nicely toned Morgan that got the same 65 grade.

#2 from here:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/gtg-with-a-twist-morgan-edition.342535/
    (fewer contact marks; booming luster; and a nicely toned reverse)

19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I remember that one. I think that's a good analysis on how they stack up against one another.

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here they are together...both 65.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Morgandude11 likes this.
  21. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

You imply that you think they should be graded differently. What do you think the correct grades of each of these should be? How do you think they compare with each other? And why? (I have some potential comments on the comparison of the two, but I'm curious what your opinions are first)

Draft saved Draft deleted