Guess the grade freebee

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jan 30, 2013.

1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I was going to post this one, but figured I could not explain the grade without the coin in hand and it has already sold. So this one is open for discussion. I will post the answer in a week of sooner if the interest wanes.

1944- PCGS b O.JPG 1944- PCGS b R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

beauty... 66n1

4. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

MS-67RD (but then there is the PCGS factor...)

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

'66........

6. petro89

petro89 Member

7. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I just don't see that pup getting 66'ed.... here's a 66rb, granted different tpg, but in line with other 66's i've seen in both tombs.

Attached Files:

8. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

ms67+rd... A beauty indeed :)

9. George8789

George8789 Leaving CoinTalk for good

Segs MS 70 red :devil:

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Though the luster is slightly muted in the right field area , probably a strong 66 at PCGS .
    A 67 wouldn't surprise me though . Nice coin .

11. rzage

Dick is that slight haze in the right obverse field , the holder or a little muted luster ?

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That has got to be on the slab.

13. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Based off what I see it is a 66rb in my opinion. Looks like a nice coin.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Baha, IMO, NGC and PCGS do not use even close to the same standard for 66 and 67 coins.

Said a bit differently, NGC slabs many coins as 67 that would only get a 66 at PCGS.

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

As for the coin posted by RLM. Sure looks like a 67 to me. But knowing how stingy PCGS grades at this level, if I was forced to guess, I'd probably guess 66.

16. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I agree with that... from what I've seen pcgs is tougher on wheaties than ngc. But I do believe also that NGC is a bit more consistent in their grading of them at this level... at least I'm better at guessing ngc grades than pcgs grades, which may not say much, but to me it says they are more in line with my grading consistency than pcgs is... which again, don't say much.... lol.

17. rzage

Definitely would be a 67 at NGC , but since the right obverse luster is all there I'll venture a 67 even at PCGS . Real sweet coin IMO .

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I guess this has run its course.

I can see nothing on this coin to keep it from a 67. Great luster, great strike, and nick free. (I am pretty sure that spec below his chin is dust.) I am sorry, but I don't remember anything either way about this coin and it is already gone. However, PCGS only gave it a 66. They did not even give it a + but I am not sure that hold is new enough to have received one.

1944- PCGS 66b SL.JPG

19. rzage

I really figured PCGS would give it a 67 , though they are stingy about it . But this coin makes me say wow!

20. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Draft saved Draft deleted