Guess the Grade - Franklin Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Speedy, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Howdy Ya'll,
    Here is a guess the grade---if you know your set, and what it takes to grade these later dates I think you won't have much of a problem!

This coin is graded by NGC.

What do YOU grade it?
    What did NGC grade it?
    and if you want to....WHY?

Have fun!

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Hmmm, MS-64 FBL? NGC gave it a MS-64 FBL.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Same here.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'd say its an MS-65, but I'll bet NGC went MS-65 FBL. I don't think I would say FBL because the lines fade out towards the left of the bell. They aren't strong like they are on the right.

Its a beauty thought.

6. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

I would say MS-65 too :D Nice coin! :)

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Beautiful Frankie , MS-66-FBL is on the label . And the grade I give it .
    rzage:smile:hatch::hammer:

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Speedy do you know if they fixed the master hub before minting the '62 coins or in the middle , yours is a really good strike !
    rzage

9. kidromeo

kidromeo I M LEGEND

MS-65 FBL.....Just learnt that term today....

10. Speedy

I believe that of course the hub was first fixed in 1948...then it was re-done in the middle to late 50's. I use to have the dates but my email program crashed the other day and I'm still in the middle of getting my files back. I can't lay my finger on it in my books...but maybe Doug will stop by.

As far as I know, the fix in the 50's was the last time the main hub was re-done.

If you like this strike, you would LOVE one I pulled out of the roll the other day.

Speedy

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'll give it a 64 FBL and say NGC gave it a 65 FBL.

12. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

All I have to say is that is one heck of a nice Frankie!

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I would say NGC MS-65 and NO FBL because of the ding through the lines on the right hand side of the crack. It completely interrupts the bell lines and therefore precludes the coin from this superlative designation.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

MS 65 is my guess, but a 64 wouldn't surprise me.

Reverse is a lock 65, but the obverse has a bit too much cheek friction for a 65 in my opinion -- thus the confusion....

15. dimedude1

dimedude1 New Member

I would say MS66, but I think NGC gave it an MS66 FBL

16. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

when will you learn, learnt isnt a word?

17. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

I thinks its a great strike too. MS66 at least. Both for me and NGC. But I think hasnt full bell lines.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Frankie Proofs changed in 1956 from type 1 to type 2. Some business strikes also are type 2 in '58 & '59. A new obverse hub was done in 1960 to restore detail.

19. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i would give it a 64/65 but i think ngc gave it a 66

20. troyheights

troyheights New Member

The Full Bell Lines (FBL) designation for Franklins is determined by strike quality and not condition. While there is some limited debate as to how clearly the lines must present themselves to be considered full, unless the bag mark(s) prevent you from determining the strike quality they do not factor into the FBL designation.

I realize this stands in stark contrast to designations like FS on Jeffersons. However, it works very well for Franlklins as the intent is to indicate an excellent strike for the entire coin. Other areas have been considered for this strike quality litmus test (the hair above the ear, the words pass and stow on the bell).

So, when you purchase a FBL Franklin, you are getting a coin that is on the whole an above average, if not an excellent strike, and not one where a hard to see feature on the reverse is in pristine condition.

21. Speedy

In: The Complete Guide To Franklin Half Dollars by Rick Tomaska....page 218-219....David Lange is talking about NGC standards for FBL.
    "NGC's standard for declaring that a Franklin Half has full bell lines is in line with that generally acepted by the coin market. Specifically, all of these lines mst be visible along their entire lengths to within a short distance to the left and right of the bell's crack. Whether from weak striking or abrasion, no more than a couple of small intrruptions in the lines are permitted, except as noted abovewith respect to the bell's crack."

Speedy

Draft saved Draft deleted