Guess the grade---Franklin Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Speedy, May 5, 2007.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Howdy All!
    Here is a Franklin Half Dollar I picked up the other day---1953-S. This date is known for not the best strike.
    I want to hear the good, bad, your thoughts, and what you think NGC graded the coin.
    One thing I'll go ahead and tell you---the coin isn't FBL :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I can only wish!

Sorry the photos aren't any better---I'm sleepy...and not in the mood to take more :goof: :computer:

I don't normaly pick up alot of BU Franklins as I'm trying to complete my PF66 set but this one jumped out of the dealers case the other day and said BUY ME so I did :whistle: :rolleyes: I think it will go along good with a few other of mine to start my MS set of Franklins after my PF66 set is done.

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

There's a few marks on the cheek but other than that it looks pretty much spotless. I'd say MS66. Nice coin!

4. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

Yep very nice Frankilin, as mentioned there are a few slight scratches on his cheek and also possibly on the upper part of his head. Very nice fields!! The toning at the edge is un-attactive to me but that just me, the reverse only has the one distinct scratch on the left of the bell, that I noticed. I think NGC says MS65 but I think it could easily pass/upgrade to MS66...

5. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

no less than MS-65

I like the toning.

6. airedale

airedale New Member

Ditto.

7. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

Keep looking for those raw FBL coins and do NOT pay for one in a holder! In the last couple of months I've seen 2 that should absolutely be called FBL that after a number of submissions, just won't get into an FBL holder. Plus I've seen a couple (view the Heritage archives) that have sold in FBL slabs, that have NO business being called FBL.

Basically, as it became obvious that the 53-S FBL population would be quite low the reputable TPG's (read PCGS/NGC) began to be more and more lax on what would qualify for that date as an FBL, until there were a few coins in the population, even if those coins shouldn't have qualified.

As collectors realized that the FBL designation was too loose, combined with the retracting FBL market over the last year or so, they have complained and the TPG's have responded by seriously tightening the standards. For a coin to get the FBL designation over the last few months it would have to be a drop-dead lock FBL coin.

Bottom line, there are some near miss 53-S FBL's out there raw (or not attributed on their holders) that can be had for a very tiny fraction of the cost of a certified 53-S FBL. And if you do find one (they really are very scarce) don't waste your money trying to get it certified right now, just hold it until the grading on them gets a little looser again and submit it then.

TCT

8. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

BTW, I like it, I'd grade it an MS 64

9. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

That one is very nice! I would be stunned to see that in less than a 65 holder, and would not be surprised to see it in a 66 holder. However, with the 2 digs and the oxidation spot on the reverse, and the minor chatter in the forehead area, I would personally call it a very PQ ms-65. The fields are quite pristine. I love the peripheral toning too.

10. asciibaron

asciibaron /dev/work/null

without looking at other entries - MS63 - now i'll scroll and see how far off i am ;)

-Steve

11. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

65 without a doubt.

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

OK

I haved no idea. NONE

Ruben

13. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

15. LibertyBell

LibertyBell New Member

MS 65-- NGC is tough on grades. Couple of hits on cheek and hit on left side of bell keep it from anything higher.

Nice coin. I would have grabbed it too.

16. swick

swick New Member

I agree.....MS-65. Soooooooo SPEEDY....you're the one who got me started on the Franklin Halves!! Thank you!! They're fun to collect AND relatively inexpensive. By the way, I like the toning around the obverse.
    Maybe MS-65*???

swick

17. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

IMHO, I believe that it is an MS-64! Any higher grade and you would think that it would have to have Full Bell Lines!

Frank

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just curious - why ?

19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

From what I've seen on Heritage, unless the TPGs tighten up their act, this would fit right in with the 65s. Subjectively-speaking, the grade I'd give it, this is the kind of coin I can look at all day long and not tire of it...

20. grizz

grizz numismatist

i agree

21. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Looks MS-65 to me. Very nice coin Speedy.

Ben

Draft saved Draft deleted