Guess the Grade extra

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Oct 6, 2012.

?

1910- NGC Grade?

Poll closed Oct 13, 2012.
  1. 63

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 64

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. 65

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. 66

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. 67

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I cannot seem to catch the details well and am not even sure I can explain the grade, so this won't count for the ranking, but I am interested in your opinions. Despite my pictures, all of the details are present and sharp.

BTW, this is NOT a public poll, so speak up.

1910- NGC 66 Ob.JPG 1910- NGC 66 Oc.JPG 1910- NGC 66 R.JPG 1910- NGC 66 Ra.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Boy your pictures make it tough. I went with 64 because the second set of pictures seems to show enough luster. Now I can only assume the color you are showing is not accurate and this is more a rb or bn coin. Just my humble opinion.

4. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Thank you. Someone finally had the guts to say something. The color is weird. It is more of a deep orange than my picture, but with the oranger pictures, they showed nothing for details.

6. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

64RB, looks low on luster, 65 in terms of hits IMO.

7. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

+1. I'm guessing it netted a 65 because of the smooth fields (no visible hits) -- though the strange toning color/pattern on the reverse might bump it down a grade.

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Do the dark spots on the reverse look the same in hand ?

9. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

tough call.... 64

10. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

I don't see any distracting marks, the surface has a nice smooth luster, but the strike seems a little weak. I'd call it an MS-66 R or RB

11. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

well of what I can see MS-66

12. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

I should say that my opinion of the coins grade was not formed by grading prowess, but rather an image title. It could be wrong, but I feel better having disclosed that :)

13. rzage

I love the obverse , if I could split grade it I'd give the obverse a 65+/ reverse 64 because of the spotting . I'd buy it for the obverse colors but the reverse I don't like . So I'd give it a 64 total .

14. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

65, maybe overzealous since it seems weak in pictures with those planchet discolorations coming through or am i seeing things

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

And this one. I do not know what to say about this. The strike is superb - almost proof like. Even the rims are squared off. There are a couple minor ticky tacks, but nothing disruptive. The color is just weird. It is a deep orange/brown that looks almost looks rusty. There is some luster there, but nothing like I am used to seeing on 66's. In normal light, it looks kind of drab. With brighter light, some of the colors come out and it is a nice looking coin. I have no idea how they came up with a 66. If anyone can add some logic to it, speak up.

BTW, the color on my slab picture is probably as close as I can get to the true color on the coin.

Attached Files:

16. rzage

Dick how would you describe those spots on the reverse ? I can see the 66 for the obverse but the reverse looks like it has some of the same coloring as the obverse , and then those spots .

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Those "spots" are not the spots you think they are. They are actually bluish silver. They are not brown or black spots.

18. rzage

At 1st I thought they were dark , then after looking at the pics again I could see them blending into the rust coloring . I really liked the obverse colors , how do they look to you in hand eye appeal wize , pleasing or not so pleasing .

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I don't know. I am kind so-so on the toning. I would not call it pleasantly colorful, but I would not call it offensive. Just kind of uh. I don;t know how else to say it. I have never seen one quite that color.

20. rzage

Well they gave it a 66 so it must be a decent coin . The strike sure is nice .

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would guess the color and luster changed a tiny bit over time in the slab.

Draft saved Draft deleted