Guess the grade Capped bust Halves

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Mar 30, 2013.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I submitted these 2 to PCGS. Both are the 50/00 variety, where the mint accidentally punched a 0 where the 5 in "50 C." should have been, then placed the 5 over top of it. Guess the grades. Coin 1: DSCN1092.jpg DSCN1103.jpg Coin 2: DSCN1559.jpg DSCN1568.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Here's a close-up of the error: DSCN1577.jpg

4. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Are you saying you just submitted the coins and we're guessing how they'll return, or do you already have the results?

The first looks VF30 if it doesn't get kicked back for the toning.

The second looks VF35 if that 'bump' at 10 o'clock on the reverse is just a castaing error and not a rim ding.

5. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

I am going to guess that the upper-most half dollar with blue toning on the obverse will return as a fine, while the other half will be graded a very fine. That is an interesting variety!

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I submitted them 25 days ago. I should hear back in the next 3-4 days. I think they'll get grades, but I've been wrong before.

7. iGradeMS70

If you sent them on an "Economy" submission, don't expect results for another week or two. Remember the estimates PCGS provides on return time are in business days (Mon-Fri). So if it's been 25 days (including weekends), it's actually only been like 20 at PCGS.

My Economy submissions are averaging a 50-day turnaround. :rollling:

8. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

Say it ain't so....I'm getting darn antsy for my last group and it's only been about 30days:(

For the OP, I was thinking Vf25 on the first coin, but the surfaces on the obverse look a bit grainy like there is some environmental damage. The second more like Vf35

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I submitted them regular service, a step up from economy and normally 15 days. Like I said it's been 25 days. I called PCGS and they told me there was a "significant delay" on everything. Even in the acceptance and shipping departments. The girl told me there was a 3-4 day delay just to get your coins in the system (in line)! Ridiculous.

10. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

Looks like a VF25.

11. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

I think VF Details and VF 30

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

DSCN4248.jpg Cleaned. DSCN4243.jpg XF40!

13. iGradeMS70

Not bad :)

The 40 kind of makes up for the "Genuine", or that's how I'd look at it. :D

14. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Based on your photos, I would rather have coin 1.

15. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Too bad you didn't check the box for "genuine with details grade". In terms of cash value, my experience has been that Bust halves are over-rated even with CAC stickers it is hard to get anticipated market unless you advertise heavily and have the top tier customer base.

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

My think was VF-30 but I see they reside in 'genuine' slabs. Danged glad I don't collect these things as the kool aid mantras masturbate.....

[oh dear, did he really say that? Will it be edited out in the morning? Time will tell....]

17. Owle

Owle Junior Member

One XF of this issue sold at HA for around $380 graded by PCGS, way above trends. In my experience PCGS will do their best to put a number on a coin. I was talking with the biggest coin dealer in Vermont who said the no grades he was getting at NGC lead him not to submit at all to them over the last few years, only PCGS.

18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

These cbh's tend to fetch MUCH more than trends when graded problem free. Particularly the varieties and overdates, etc. Besides, the 50/00 is much harder to find than the rarity number suggests.

19. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Nice.

FYI: O-116
    R-2

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Are you serious?

Busties are going for strong money.
    Without any promotions

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter