Guess the grade---Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Speedy, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Here is a new coin of mine...first Bust half in my collection---I guess its a step to becoming a NUT :mouth: :whistle: :D
    Guess the grade and if anyone knows what variety this is please also post that---
    Its graded by PCGS---I agree with the grade---
    I tried to mark the diecracks with red but I couldn't get a good close up of the die crack on the front---it starts at about the 2nd start on the left hand side and runs right near the rim right down under the date....and runs back up to the 2nd star on the right hand side...its almost like a half moon shape die crack....

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

F-12, Nice Busty :D I don't have my book so I can't attribute it for you, alas...

Ben

4. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

I'll say F12 as well.

5. jimmy-bones

jimmy-bones Senior Member

The Bust Half is one of my favorites.
    I'll go a little lower due to the heavier wear on the obverse, and say VG-10.
    Can't wait to see.

6. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

lol, same here, it is in a box in my storage unit waiting for the move (9 days and counting...). I have a helpless lost feeling without easy access to my references. lol

I actually save the ANA grading book and an 09 Redbook, but everything else is packed. lol, anyone wanna buy an overpriced house in the Chicago suburbs? lol

7. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Vg-8 or 10 would be my guess. Leaning towards 10.

8. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

VG10 or F12.I think it's closer to VG10 though.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

F-12 is my guess

10. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

VG-10 looks about right.

11. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Nice pick up Speedy ! :thumb:
    As for grade Id say you have a F12 also.
    Your variety is a O-102a from what I can tell.

Does star 12 have an extra point down twords the curl ? And I cant tell if she has the hair lip so you may want to check for that, but the "I" in E Plurbus is centered below in between the A & T in states which is the best diagnostic I can see. The die cracks & the recut T on the reverse are also what I am using to give it this attirbution.

It is a R2 if it is the 0-102a .
    :D

12. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

The obverse looks VG, the reverse looks F.

13. Speedy

Well guys its graded VG8---maybe I'm wrong but I sure don't see how it can go any higher with the wear on the bust and the left eagle wing.

Budgood---thanks alot....the star--If I'm looking at the right one does have another point...its the 2nd up from the right....I can't remember what R2 is used for Bust Halves.....what does this one mean...lots of them or few?

Speedy

14. Speedy

never mind!...I found it!!

Sounds great!!!

Speedy

15. Burks

Burks New Member

I said a VG10-F12. The obverse is rather weak and probably a low end VG while the reverse grade a nice Fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted