Guess the Grade--Battle Creek Morgan NGC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lehigh96, Feb 8, 2009.

?

Guess the Assigned Grade

1. MS65*

17.6%
  2. MS64*

64.7%
  3. MS63*

11.8%
  4. BU*

5.9%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Please guess the grade of this Battle Creek Morgan Dollar in the poll above.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

I've never really graded morgans before; but I figured I would take a stab at it to see how close I compare with the experts. I would say MS-64. The cheek and neck are scruffy, but the fields look really clean. Are those fingerprints on the case or the coin?

4. johnny54321

johnny54321 aspiring numismatist

oh, i didnt realize there was a poll. Well, at least the grade I guessed is up there.

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Assuming those marks on the reverse are on the slab, I will go 64 despite the fingerprints.

6. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I have to sit this one out due to insider infomation :kewl:

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It does not take any inside info to know what the grade is. Not that I expect you to believe it, but I did not use it.

8. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Where do you think that coin came from? I do that with yours too :)

9. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I voted MS63, then I noticed...oh well.....

10. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I say MS65* I compared it to a MS65 I have and they have almost the exact same bag marks, and the rest of the coin seems nice and clean. Great coin Lehigh, and I love that kind of toning on the rev.

11. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i say 63 but i am pretty sure ngc gave it a 64 :)

12. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Personally, I'd say BU as there is some wear on the obverse in the hair as well as the breast feathers on reverse. But, I'm almost certain NGC gave it a 63 because of the luster.
    Guy~

13. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

From my experience, I'm going to say MS64. A really nice coin you have there! :D

14. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Nice coin yet again Lehigh. :thumb: Before I found out the grade, I guessed 64* as my personal grade, and 65* as NGC's. That is all I will say. :whistle:

Phoenix :cool:

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I will presume, given the choices, that the coin graded *, but I gotta tell you that if NGC gives out stars for every morgan toned like this, there would be a LOT more * coins around. They were very loose with * when it came time to grade the BC coins, IMO. This is not a hit on the coin -- which I find attractive -- but rather a comment to NGC and how they graded this hoard.

That said, I guessed 64*.

16. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think that was a deal made with NGC prior to grading. There are many BC Morgans that don't deserve a star IMO. This is one of them. I have a few others.

This one is an MS65* (yeah right)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In other words Mike, I agree with you completely.

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

FWIW, the fields and reverse are clean enough for a 65, but the cheek on the 2nd coin make me scratch my head on the 65 grade.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Haven't we talked about this coin before ? Or was that just another '87 with a weak strike ?

The coin doesn't even deserve a 63 and they gave it a star they should be shot !

19. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

MS-64*. Too many marks on Liberty and fingerprints for 5* IMO.

20. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Agreed 100%. Glad someone else sees it for what it is.
    Guy~

21. hfd12316

hfd12316 Senior Member

Too baggy for me in the wrong places. 63 no* but i do like the toning.

Draft saved Draft deleted