Guess the grade--Antietam Commemorative

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Dec 12, 2008.

?

Guess the Grade

1. MS64

4.0%
  2. MS65

28.0%
  3. MS66

56.0%
  4. MS67

12.0%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Guess the grade of the Antietam Commemorative shown below in the poll above. If you would like to guess who took the photos, give it your best shot. Comments on grade, toning, and overall opinion of my newest purchase are always welcome.

[​IMG][​IMG]

:D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I voted MS66, but I really have no idea how to grade these. I really don't see any major hits to it and it appears to be very clean of even minimal hits. It does have a couple, but they don't affect eye appeal. Plus, the toning is gorgeous and really makes the coin jump out at you. So, I said MS66.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'll second what Richie said, MS-66. No wear and very little to detract from the overall beauty of the coin. Antietam....one of my favorites!

5. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

WOWSA! YUM, yum ,yum. That coin rocks!

6. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

The R looks doubled. And the right side of the T and the bottom left part of U.

7. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

A gorgeous coin IMHO, very nice. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Just a little too much chatter on the obverse that keeps it at a 65 for me, but a high end 65 IMHO. (65.8ish?) It might make a 66, (but that one bit of chatter in front of the face is too distracting IMHO), but none the less, a gorgeous example. :thumb: (BTW, the little red x's are supposed to be the thumbs up smilie. Kinda loses it's effect though, lol?)

Phoenix :cool:

8. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

If NGC I would suspect 67 provided that gold streak behind the eye isn't minute rub, and if it is minor rub 65. If PCGS graded it I would suspect 66 or 64 if rub is present respectively.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

67 - gorgeous coin !

10. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I'll bet 50c it was Leadfoot ! :thumb:

Not that 50c, of course... :whistle:

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

66 and Brandon.

12. Leadfoot

p.s. fabulous coin! :)

13. Lehigh96

It is a red letter date in the history of coin grading. Doug actually graded a coin higher than the TPG's. I know this coin is fantastic now.

[​IMG]

The photo was taken by Mark Goodman according to the seller and I believe him based on the quality of the photos.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Don't get too excited, it's happened before :)I don't care what the slab says - that's a gorgeous coin !

15. Lehigh96

Now here is a good question. Which Antietam do you like better, mine or this one that was sold by Anaconda a few years ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:D

16. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I'll say yours, the other coin has too much color IMHO, where the color on yours is quite tasteful IMO. Also, I love the way the luster on your coin flows with the toning. Nice!! :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

17. Leadfoot

I am sorry to say that I like Brandon's coin more. It looks more original.

BUt that's just me, and it is what Lehigh thinks that really matters! :)

18. Leadfoot

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not nearly as good as Mark (or Brandon) when it comes to photographing toners. :)

19. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

I was going to vote 65, but.. wow, you never give up the grade that quickly!

20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Honestly, I like yours better Paul. I think the back on theirs is amazing...but yours has a very nice look. I love how the color's on your coin slowly change, it is very beautiful. So, I'd say I like your coin better. :thumb:

21. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Beautiful coin Le , wish you'd reveal the grade later so us slowpokes get a chance .
    rzage:D

Draft saved Draft deleted