Guess the grade and Overton on my Cherrypick

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by physics-fan3.14, Jul 2, 2009.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Just got this coin raw for a steal of a deal. I'm quite sure its been dipped, but the surfaces look alright - no hairlines or anything major. It's going to go in an envelope and hopefully get some color and skin back.

So guess the grade and Overton (and price I paid, too, but no cheating!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I would say F and definitely "cleaned" . Overton 108

4. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

I'll go XF 40 (edited to add: VF35 at a minimum) and see no signs of cleaning.

5. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

Possibly dipped but I don't think so. XF 40/45 IMO.

6. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

No eye appeal either way. It looks like a good $40 coin to me.

7. Mark Feld

I really don't understand a comment like that. CDN bid is $60 in (only) VG, and the coin is obviously way better than that. Please explain?

8. coinman0456

is it me,or the obv photo, the rim seems damaged/flat ?

9. coinman0456

and the spread between VG and VF is $10.00

10. coinman0456

he is calling the grade GD, I think it tilts more to High end Fine.

11. Mark Feld

Even if there were no spread, the figure of $40 is simply unrealistically low. And an XF, which some of us believe the coin to be, is bid $130.

12. physics-fan3.14

No, the rim on the obverse looks funny because of glare on the mylar plastic holder. There is no rim damage.

The coin was probably dipped, but I see no signs of harsher cleaning. I say this mostly because of the lighter color.

The tremendous amounts of luster on this coin generally indicate the grade is going to be at least high VF, more like EF. I personally grade this coin EF-40, like Mark. There is certainly no way anyone who knows how to grade these coins is going to call it less than VF+.

I think what is throwing some of you off is the strike, which is somewhat weak, coupled with somewhat worn dies on the obverse. The clasp, which alot of people look at for grading, as well as some of the hair curls, are weak. This can fool you. Look instead at the lighter areas on her cleavage, cheek, and hair curls, and on the left wing of the eagle on the reverse. These areas are clearly different colored than the surrounding areas, and are the places you look for wear. Based on the wear and the luster, this is a nice EF coin.

And you are also wrong on the Overton. Try again :)

I paid $125 for the coin, and would do so again any day of the week.

13. Mark Feld

If that's the case, I believe that he is way too low and you are still too low. Below is an NGC VF35 for comparison - it appears to be lower grade than the coin which started this thread. Please show us a "high end Fine" (which hasn't been net graded) which compares to these two coins?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. physics-fan3.14

For further comparison, here is an NGC graded EF-45 I also own. The original coin falls nicely between the two in terms of wear, although the raw one has more luster.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. coinman0456

the piece in the NGC is on target of the grade , no question . But my look at the coin in the post looked like a VF example, but on closer examination, i'll stay with high end Fine.
    IMHO.

16. coinman0456

I'll agree to the grade of EF45 on that one, mark.

17. physics-fan3.14

I will buy at Fine prices any problem free Bust halves you have that look like my original coin. I'll empty my savings account and buy them all.

18. Mark Feld

:confused: The coin in the first post would/should grade as high as or higher than the NGC VF35, which you say is "on target", yet you "stay with high end Fine"??:confused: Please show us a high end Fine that is not net graded and which even remotely compares?

19. physics-fan3.14

By the way, for an example of what a high F/borderline VF Bustie really looks like, take a look at the top CBH that mark_h recently purchased, shown here: http://www.cointalk.com/forum/t59433/ There is no way your going to tell me my coin looks like his.

20. coinman0456

so the piece presented in the op has not been graded by a TPG?

21. physics-fan3.14

No, the original piece is raw. But I'll tell you that Mark Feld is a former grader for NGC, so he knows his stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted