Guess the grade #89

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Oct 8, 2010.

?

1915-D NGC Grade?

Poll closed Oct 14, 2010.
  1. 58

4.2%
  2. 60

4.2%
  3. 61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 63

8.3%
  6. 64

37.5%
  7. 65

41.7%
  8. 66

4.2%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1915-D NGC slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

4. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

5. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I saw the coin and the coin told me it was graded 65BN, so that's what I guessed. :)

Think 64 may be a possibility, but luster and fields look too good to go any lower.

7. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

I gave it a 65 however knowing RLMs collection it probably got a 66.

8. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

9. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

MS-63 BN ... Note: I always vote before I look what other ppl think is the grade and was suprised that most voted 64-65....Although after more thorough look prob. was a bit conservative )

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

12. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

This is one of the 3 most detailed Lincolns I have seen. I sis not think they put that much detail on Abe until they recut the die in 1916. And that back in much better looking in hand. No significant marks. I would call this a 65 any day, but apparently NGC want more luster - or at least that is the only reason I can see that it is only a 64.

Attached Files:

14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

As I recall, they sharpened the master dies in 1915 so there's some detailed pieces.

I'm the master of off by one.

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The dies (as in at each mint) were reworked for 1915 and a new master die was made for 1916 and it is frequently thought it was again done in 1917.

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

That last slab shot does suggest a coin a bit darker than the first photos, but wow, those surfaces are clean for a 64.

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

My slab shots always seem to show the coin darker than it really is and most of my coin shots show the coin a bit lighter than it really is (more light for the picture?). However, you are correct. That coin is nearly mark free.

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I think the solid white NGC slabs are hard to photograph. As RLM mentioned - it seems like when you focus the camera on the coin it is lighter than the real color and when you pull back the white slab sucks in all the light.

19. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

Man,, i was pretty confident with my 65 too...... but apparently a good group of folks saw 64 too. Good start to round 2 !

Draft saved Draft deleted