Guess the Grade #606

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jan 29, 2014.

?

1956-d PCGS Grade

Poll closed Feb 5, 2014.
  1. Genuine/details

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 63

5.6%
  4. 64

5.6%
  5. 65

5.6%
  6. 66

55.6%
  7. 67

27.8%
  8. 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1956-d PCGS slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

1956-D c PCGS O.JPG 1956-D c PCGS R.JPG

BadThad likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nolawyer

Nolawyer Junior Member

Looks like a 67RD to me.

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Beautiful luster . The reverse looks 68 . 66+ .

5. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Nice strike!

6. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

7. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

8. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

DITTO!!

Lincoln just pops right out at you!

9. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

With the cut on the forehead, two hits on the cheek, and the scuff mark in the field in front of his chin I can't see how it could have a grade higher than MS-63 red. If it is it was very generously graded.

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

This is a very pretty coin. Probably even prettier than in the picture. Very nice luster and very well struck. However, there are just too many nicks for it to make a 67 at PCGS. They called it a 66 and I basically agree but I would probably ad a + were it graded today.
    1956-D 66c PCGS SL.JPG

BadThad likes this.
  13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

No major shifts this round, but look at that battle for second!

Columns are rank, name, average, and number of guesses.
    1. ldhair 0.139 38
    2. rzage 0.261 48
    3. petro89 0.268 43
    4. mark_h0.273 46
    5. BadThad 0.318 46
    6. jallengomez 0.379 30
    7. non_cents 0.480 26
    8. jester3681 0.543 48
    9. ReaperRuler 0.596 49
    10. Johntomk 0.640 26

14. Ed Sims

Well, I guess PCGS is very generous with their MS-66's on Lincoln cents. I would have imagined anything above MS-64 should have far fewer contact marks especially in the fields than the ones I have seen graded MS-66 here recently. Don't take me wrong, these are very nice cents, I just don't see how they make these grades.

15. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

You are not looking at Big Morgan dollars. These pictures are very blown up and exaggerate the marks that are on the coin.

And I would say that out of 18 people, all but you felt is was 64. And all but 3 though it was the grade they gave it or better.
    Matter of fact almost 1/3 felt that PCGS was to strict on the grade.

Ed, after seeing the last image with the whole holder, do you still feel it is that low of a grade. And remember that that is still a enlarged picture too.

jallengomez, rzage and rlm's cents like this.
  16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Every newcomer has got to learn that the image , at least on my computer, is magnified nearly 10X. Graders usually grade with their naked eye and sometimes use a 5x loupe . You have to learn to consider its size.

17. Ed Sims

Yes, the cut on the side of Lincoln's head just below the hairline and the scuff in the field on the right side stand out and are distracting in the picture of the coin in the holder.

I am not a newcomer, I have been collecting coins since 1966 and I do not collect Morgan dollars.

Well it appears that because I was never a cent collector of any type, never filled a Lincoln cent folder ever, and primarily a silver coin collector all my life I apparently have a lot to learn about grading cents.

I collect Liberty Seated half dimes which are 3.5mm smaller in diameter then Lincoln cents and dimes, Liberty Seated and Mercury, which are 1.1mm smaller in diameter than Lincoln cents so I am very experienced in examining very small coins.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  18. rzage

One thing about grading red cents is that the tpgs love luster . If a coin has great luster they might raise the grade . Also the pics tend to make the hits look larger than they really are . Also this is about what the tpgs will grade the coin , if I were grading the coin the grades would be more in line with ANA standards but we have to compensate for the market grading that they use . Hope you come back every week , the more the merrier .

19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Not really, PCGS is very conservative from 66 up. The contact marks are very minor. Something that may help you - start grading at 70 and then mentally subtract off points. Do you really believe this coin deserves to have 7+ points removed for a few tiny hits?

More importantly, you have to strongly consider eye appeal and luster. They trump every time. RLM does a good job of showing the luster in his static images, you can clearly see the cartwheel spokes and glowing luster.

20. Ed Sims

RLM takes great pictures of his cents, I only wish I could take such quality photographs of each of my coins consistently.

One thing I have noticed recently there has become a difference in the "Official" grading standards and market grading with the grading services now more than before leaning that way. I sell coins at local flea markets and I have to adjust to that if a person buying a raw coin from me decides to send it in for grading. It would not bode well for me to sell a coin that does not come back at least the grade I sold it at. Being a life member of the ANA all of my customers can bring back any coin at any time if they are not satisfied with it.

I'm not going away, as the terminator said, "I'll be back."

21. rzage

Dick how about throwing up an old one , for old times sake ?

Draft saved Draft deleted