Guess the grade #60

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Aug 23, 2010.

?

1954-S NGC Grade?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2010.
  1. 63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 64

10.5%
  3. 65

21.1%
  4. 66

15.8%
  5. 67

42.1%
  6. 68

10.5%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

FWIW, this is not the same coin as before.

1954-S NGC slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Anarchos

Anarchos Junior Member

o0 thats really shiney. i'm guessing 66 for this one too, but ill go 66+1 for 67

4. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

66 and I only believe that due to the nice luster of the coin or else it may have gotten a 65.

5. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

Dang that wart on the obv Capt...... nice backside.. who know's.. went with my method on this one.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I guessed 67rd, and I susupect some may undergrade this. I also wonder if the coin had the slight discoloration on the high points when it was slabbed, and I'm betting it didn't.

66 at worst.

7. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

I say 66, so entered 65 lol

8. Leadfoot

Anyone else notice the die wear/crumbling above PLURIBUS UNUM?

G, if you call it damage, we're going to have an argument. :)

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I assume that is the same as on the last coin, all be it this one is less sever. Mr. Diamond called it a slide. I assume you 2 are using different terminology for the same thing.

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

11. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I wouldn't call it die crumbling at all, and it's an entirely different look than the other coin I argued about. This one I would say those are flow lines - due to die wear yes. But not crumbling.

But with that large hit in the hair, no way it should grade higher than 64.

Send him the pic and ask him about this one. Bettin he doesn't see this the same as before.

And ask him if he can further define/explain what he means by slide.

13. GDJMSP

Looks like roll friction to me - and I'd say it was there when slabbed - but ignored.

14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

66+2= ms68 rd

15. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

have you forgotten there is a new trick to grading these days the graders are all blindfolded so there is no bias :D

16. Leadfoot

G, I submit they are the very same feature:

Coin #45
    [​IMG]

Coin #60
    [​IMG]

Call it die wear, call it die crumbling, call it a landslide. The same thing caused the feature on both coins.

17. GDJMSP

And I submit they are not. The progressive & additonal marks on and from the O moving upwards and through the legends to the marks just inside the rim indicate all of those marks were caused by the same thing - post strike contact.

And flow lines do not have an angle to them as the marks just inside the rim do on #45.

18. Leadfoot

Clearly there are some nicks in the fields near O and E PLURIBUS, but if you think that the area between E PLURIBUS and the rim is post-mint, you are delusional. :)

RLM, would you please take a better shot of coin #45 and #60 showing the entire upper rim?

Either that or confirm the area in question is raised.

If RLM confirms they are incuse (i.e. post mint damage), I will donate $100 to your favorite charity.

19. Leadfoot

20. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

MS-67 (blazing) red

21. GDJMSP

Don't know why you'd bother, I can already tell you what the opinions will be. They'll side with the TPG.

And still won't change my opinion.

And as for the marks inside the rim on the #45 coin - some are raised and some are incuse. Just like a scrape on something rough would be. And just like flow lines would be - except flow lines do not run at an angle to the center of the coin - ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted