Guess the Grade #579

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Oct 23, 2013.

?

1911-S PCGS Grade?

Poll closed Oct 30, 2013.
  1. Genuine/details

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 55

5.0%
  3. 58

15.0%
  4. 60

5.0%
  5. 61

5.0%
  6. 62

10.0%
  7. 63

50.0%
  8. 64

10.0%
  9. 65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1911-S PCGS slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

1911-S PCGS O.JPG 1911-S PCGS R.JPG

BadThad likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

A woody with PCGS . Looks like a 64 . But PCGS will knock it down . Thinking 63 .

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Woody? HUH? There are no streaks on my image.

5. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

6. rzage

So that spotting mostly in the right field wouldn't be classified as a woody ? Also is that a little hole on the reverse left of the O ?

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Spotting blotchiness does not make it a woody. Woodies only come from alloy mixture and that comes only in stripes, lines, or some form of parallel groupings.

As for the "hole", it is raised. I do not think it is a carbon spot since the surrounds are not effected. Dirt, maybe?

rzage likes this.
  8. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Hmm - I wonder how much luster shows on the coin. A nice looking one on the pictures.

9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I hate to ask, that black spot on the reverse - Is that on the coin or some sort of debris on or in the slab? It doesn't look like it's "part" of the coin.

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

See post #6.

11. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

It may be simply a weak strike, and not wear, but I interpreted the flatness at the top of the ear into the hair to be wear. For that reason I went 58

12. BadThad

DOH 63RB

13. rzage

I thought that blotchiness was from a bad alloy mixture , I didn't know it had to be in parallel groupings though .

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The sheets are formed (thinned) by running it trough roll mills. They only stretch the material in one direction. The original slab may have a blotch of poor alloy in some weird shape, but the mill stretches it in one direction. When it is all done, each of the original blotches is now a line parallel to every other blotch that was there to begin with.

rzage likes this.
  15. BadThad

Think of the alloy as dough. Add in some chocolate chips and use a rolling pin to flatten it all. That's what happens.:)

rzage likes this.
  16. rzage

Got it , thanks guys .

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Descent strike and it is about as nick free as any coin I have. (that on the cheek is on the slab and not the coin.) Yes, that spot is discernible, but it does not exactly pop up and bite you either. However, it has fairly complete luster, but far from strong luster. PCGS wound up with a 63. If this thing had any kind of nice luster, I swear it would have gone 64, but I have to agree with the 63 although I think I would make it a +.

1911-S 63 PCGS SL.JPG

20. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

I thought I had this one with a 64. Guess it was the luster.

21. rzage

Sure wish my '11-S was this nice . And like jallengomez said I almost was going to give it a 64 for the obverse .

Draft saved Draft deleted