Guess the Grade #570

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Sep 28, 2013.

?

1952- PCGS

Poll closed Oct 5, 2013.
  1. Genuine/details

6.3%
  2. 62

6.3%
  3. 63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 64

12.5%
  5. 65

18.8%
  6. 66

50.0%
  7. 67

6.3%
  8. 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1952- PCGS slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

1952- PCGS O.JPG 1952- PCGS R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Beautiful coin! The bag marks on the OBV are going to knock the grade down a bit IMO.

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I really only see one hit on his chin , and maybe another on his shoulder , the smaller ones are all planchet marks and don't count against the grade . Thinking 66 .

5. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Oh, yes they do count. However, they are much harder to see since they have toned with the coin and their bright shine is gone. Also, they are usually quite small and cannot be seen.

7. rzage

I always thought that the small planchet marks , and Die polish lines didn't coun't much against the grade . So how much do the smaller planchet marks on his shoulder and one the O really count . I can see where the larger marks counted against the grade on the last contests coin , but they were quite deep .

8. rzage

Also on this coin I'm sure the large planchet mark on his shoulder would count too .

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Just like nicks, you have to be able to see them. That is why I say they do not count AS MUCH as most nicks. They are significantly more difficult to see.

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

11. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Yes they are planchet marks but are also indicative of a weak strike.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Well, it may not be the solidest strike ever, but it is way above average and in particular for this coin. Philadelphia was noted for their poor coins from '45 to at least '59. I will bet there is not 1000 67's from PCGS in that era COMBINED. For reference, there are nearly 2,500 for 1943-P alone, but that is the most common year by far. Enough of the history. Descent strike, real nice luster, and nearly mark free. You can just barely catch some of the planchet marks. Nothing nearly enough to drop it to a 65, so PCGS gave it a 66. It would not amaze me if resubmitted it could get a +.

1952- 66 PCGS SL.JPG

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Same results as last week only this week it was just petro89 and ReaperRuler who switched places.

Columns are rank, name, average, and number of guesses.
    1. rzage 0.375 50
    2. BadThad 0.386 46
    3. ldhair 0.417 38
    4. mark_h0.479 50
    5. non_cents 0.500 46
    6. jallengomez 0.516 33
    7. petro89 0.605 45
    8. ReaperRuler 0.646 50
    9. bahabully 0.675 42
    10. aubade21 0.947 20

14. rzage

Both right as most people were , but my score stayed the same . Must of dropped 2 good ones , dang where are the wrong ones when you need them . I thought I had a bunch of bad ones coming up . Some tougher coins coming up .

Draft saved Draft deleted