Guess the grade #57

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Aug 19, 2010.

?

1947-D NGC Grade?

Poll closed Aug 24, 2010.
  1. 63

5.9%
  2. 64

5.9%
  3. 65

17.6%
  4. 66

41.2%
  5. 67

29.4%
  6. 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1947-d NGC slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

first glance a 66 but voted a MS-67...nice red color

4. Accordian

Accordian New Member

i've read a few of your past guess the grade threads and it looks like fun! Now, dont laugh too hard, i'm bran spankin new to grading coins, but i'm learning!

anyways, based on previous grades i would take a guess at 67. Comparing it to #54, It appears to have less marks on the obverse, but more on the reverse; so i'm going to guess the same, MS67 grade.

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not laughing at all. That is probably the biggest reason I am doing any of this.

6. Accordian

Accordian New Member

it's a lot of fun, and a good learning tool for us noobies!

7. Wanted to say MS65 but will go with MS66. TC

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

9. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

man,, tough one. gut instantly said 66 so would normally go 67, but I can't get around that spot on the obv.. so it stays 66. still, this is an outstanding coin,, virtually mark free and nice full strike imo...

10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I agree - the only thing I questions is full strike. Maybe it is the picture, but to me the left wheat lines do not look as well struck as the right. Still another nice coin, when I first saw half the coin I thought ooooh a 67, blew up the picture and said dam. The spot just drew me away from the rest of the coin.

11. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

huh,, I missed that. Between trying to find a single nick on this puppy and not finding one, and then seeing the complete O in one with only slight reduction of bust on the obv, I totally overlooked it. But yeah,, I see it too... hard to say if it's the pic or if the top left wheat is weak, but i like my 66 better now. Good eye mark.

12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

63+2= MS65 RED

The spot drops it 2 points IMHO.

13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Obverse shows what appears do be a slight ding....?? dont know how that would affect the over all
    Grade??

14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

The obverse carbon spot held it back IMO.

15. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

16. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I agree that the spot held this back,, or should have. Coin's like Bo Derek with an eraser sized wart on her eyelid... still nice to look at, but ya don't say wow until until you flip it over :devil::devil:..... and 67's should make ya want to say wow !

17. Leadfoot

It's a D mint from the 40's. They aren't fully struck, and I gotta tell you this is a very nice strike for the issue, IMO.

As for the spot, I'll wager it wasn't as big when the coin was slabbed -- or at least that was the thinking when I graded it a 67.

Time will tell. :)

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

And that is the best reason to at least read these guess the grades even if you do not participate. Learn something new.

19. Leadfoot

p.s. this is the first coin I can recall in RLM's series with a full "O" in "ONE", and a relative lack of planchet marks in the O and corresponding shoulder on the obverse -- again confirming a relatively strong strike on an older die.

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Then you need to start looking closer.

Again - you are only assuming they are planchet marks. And what does a lack of planchet marks have to do with the age of the die ?

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Draft saved Draft deleted