Guess the Grade #563

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Sep 18, 2013.

?

1930-S NGC Grade?

Poll closed Sep 25, 2013.
  1. Genuine/details

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 62

5.6%
  3. 63

11.1%
  4. 64

11.1%
  5. 65

38.9%
  6. 66

33.3%
  7. 67

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1930-S NGC slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

1930-S NGC O.JPG 1930-S NGC R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

4. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

65RD im always on the high side so second guessing myself nope dont do it! 65 final answer

5. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

6. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

7. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

8. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I think I see lots of LDS luster.

9. ck1of2

ck1of2 Member

I am new to this hobby and love using this forum to gauge my grading and trying to learn as much as I can. Not being familiar with the 1930 S, could anyone tell me if the "AT" in STATES, "OF", and "C" in AMERICA is a typical characteristic for this coin?

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Typical for the year, not really. It looks like there was a touch of grease on a fairly well used die. However, it is not as bad as the picture makes it look.

11. ck1of2

ck1of2 Member

Thanks for the information. I'll say 64

12. BadThad

San Fran was still working on some problems they had starting in 1920 with quality. All of the coins they produced through the 20's are known for their awful strikes and bad planchets. Things started improving in 1928 - as I recall the S mint workers where threatened by management- so they were still working on things in 1930.

This coin had a partially filled reverse die. Grease and other particulate matter accumulates in the die recesses and prevents it from full striking-up the coin. It happens to ALL US coinage. As soon as it's spotted a mint worker changes out or cleans the die. This coin shows obvious signs of the problem. Typically, filled die coins do not effect the grade until you get to MS-65/66 and up. Back to y our question.....

No, this is not a specific characteristic for the issue. The filling/clogging of dies is a random occurrence. There are plenty of well-struck 30S's in the marketplace.

rzage likes this.
  13. BadThad

Here's one I have in my collection - angled to capture the toning. :)

Attached Files:

14. BadThad

Here's a learning coin-

When die pressures are slightly off spec (weak) on a Lincoln, you will see weakness in the high points of the design: cheek, jaw, shoulder, temple-area, O in ONE, AM in AMERICA. This due to poor metal flow into the recesses of the obverse die - it takes a lot of metal to fill the head and shoulder areas- so the end results is these weaknesses in the strike.

This coin shows it almost perfectly. Notice the "scratchiness" of the shoulder, cheek, temple and jaw. Those are tell-tail signs of inadequate die pressure. It ALWAYS affects the O in ONE on the reverse and the AM usually to a lesser degree.

Attached Files:

15. BadThad

Hopefully, this overlay will help make sense of what I'm saying.

Attached Files:

rzage likes this.
  16. ck1of2

ck1of2 Member

First off, thanks for taking the time to give me an explanation.

Ok, lets see if I have this right, so it sounds like you are talking about two different situations that occur during the minting process. The first issue/condition that you described is clogging of the die that results in a weak strike. Which is what I was unsure of in the original coin show and your example.

The second issue you described is when the die is not gauged to the proper impact pressure and would result in a weak strike on the high points of the coin in the form of scratch like markings on the obverse that translate to the reverse side of the coin as a weak strike.

Does that sound right?

BadThad likes this.
  17. Chance Thompson

Chance Thompson New Member

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Is that some kind of doubling in the 0 of the date . Going 66 .

19. Chance Thompson

I think so it seems to be DD but am not shure from what i see it looks to be doubled

20. Chance Thompson

And now that i look at it MS 65

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Draft saved Draft deleted