Guess the grade #55

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Aug 18, 2010.

?

1911-S PCGS Grade?

Poll closed Aug 23, 2010.
  1. 58

17.4%
  2. 60

4.3%
  3. 62

13.0%
  4. 63

34.8%
  5. 64

30.4%
  6. 65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1911-S PCGS slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

Lincoln is not well detailed. Think it is in between MS-60 and MS-62, but I gave it an MS-62 because of the balance in luster. Nice coin, rlm's cents!

4. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

I think it;s a 62 but gave it a 63. I differ from coinmaster, I think it has great detail, decent luster, few nicks, Thanks for sharing RLM!!

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

This one is going to be tough.

I guessed 63, but after looking again, I think I guessed low.

Don't see many marks. Luster is going to be muted because of color. I'd love to cartwheel the coin....

Alas all we have is a photo....

6. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

A awesome 1911 you got there. hhhmmmmm I will say MS62 RB but what do I know lol. Super coin for the date thanks for posting it.

7. I will go with MS63. TC

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Extremely clean coin, almost mark free. I was almost tempted to say 58 on this one because of the cheekbones, but I decided to chalk it up to toning instead. If I could turn the coin under the light it's possible I might change my mind, but I'm happy with my estimate of 64.

If it were not for the subdued lusted and what I consider low eye appeal I would have gone 65.

9. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

go with a MS-64...nice RB

10. Anarchos

Anarchos Junior Member

11. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Complete guess at 64...

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Yep a tougher one.

And thanks for the link to the other.

14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Nice coin, hardly a hit on it. I see the TPG's 58 these sometimes but I don't think you'd buy a 58 coin.

15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

62+2= ms64 rb

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Strike and mark wise, this is a 64. But the luster and eye appeal just aren't there. Maybe it is a 63+, but I think 63 is right.

Attached Files:

17. Anarchos

Anarchos Junior Member

dang, i was 1 off AGAIN. maybe i should start doing what everyone else does...gut +/- 1 lol

or maybe ill wait for my new ANA grading standards book to come...then watch out!

18. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

ANA grading standards... lol.... this is pcgs and ngc we're talking about, not ana. Pretty sure they don't use ana grading standards,,, or I'd probably have to change my method from gut+1 to gut-1..... come to the dark side baby ! waters nice and warm :devil:

19. BadThad

Off by one again....now I'm dropping in the ranks. I don't care, I stand by my photogrades. :smile

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Just for grins, take a look at PCGS's photogrades; http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Lincoln/Grades. Their 66, 67, and 68 all have obvious marks when you look at them. I do not have the lighting they have, so my marks show more than in their photos.

21. BadThad

Yea, and notice it's just a luster progression too. That 62 and 63 always crack me up. Post either of those on ANY internet forum and everyone will say they're AU. Also, the 62 looks better than the 63. LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted