Guess the Grade #541

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rlm's cents, Jul 27, 2013.

?

1941- PCGS Grade?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2013.
  1. Genuine/details

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 64

6.7%
  5. 65

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 66

80.0%
  7. 67

13.3%
  8. 68

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

1941- PCGS slabbed

NOTE: If you don't vote in the poll, your vote will not be counted.

1941- b PCGS O.JPG 1941- b PCGS R.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

4. Rickipedia

Rickipedia Korean YN at 12

5. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Nice luster and strike 66 .

7. Numis-addict

Numis-addict Addicted to coins

Technically, I think there were a few too many marks on the bust, but with luster that nice and plenty of eye appeal, and one of the bigger the marks being in a less noticeable place, I gave it the 66.

jgreenhood likes this.
  8. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Ohhhhhh, pretty! I see that deep red toning and some halo luster. That's a beautiful coin!!!

9. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Gonna go with the crowd. 66.

10. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

if it's not 67 it should be.

11. jgreenhood

jgreenhood Senior Member

With all those nicks I'm surprised how high everyone is going. I'm not an expert grader though.

12. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

13. BadThad

With all those lack of nicks I'm surprized how low everyone is going.

Photography tends to make minor stuff look like the grand canyon. Also, IMO, those are mostly planchet marks that the strike didn't wipe out. The fields/luster are fantastic and the reverse is about as good as it gets with a wheat. I can't see a 4 point deduction!

ldhair likes this.
  14. jgreenhood

jgreenhood Senior Member

Lack of nicks? There are tons of marks on the side of Lincoln's face along the shoulder and arm. Not to mention all those marks around the words one & cent on the reverse.

15. BadThad

Planchet marks left from not being fully struck-up.....stick around, you'll learn.

jgreenhood likes this.
  16. jgreenhood

jgreenhood Senior Member

I've always been told that those count against being a 65.

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

18. rzage

I've seen many 66 coins with planchet flaws . I believe this one would have been a 67 except for that hit over the Y in Liberty .

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

My camera did not catch the full color on this coin. The darker half is redder (not coin red, but blood red) than my picture and the other half is whiter than in the picture. I am not sure of the cause. There is a hint of album toning (halo), but it is mostly top/bottom. Nice strike and luster is not a problem. Anyhow, there is some light chatter on the bust, but it is mostly tiny nicks. Nicks, more so than chatter, do affect the grade - if you can see them. These are so small I have trouble finding these even with a loupe. The only visible negatives I can see without the loupe (as graders do) are nicks below the MER in AMERICA and maybe above TY in LIBERTY. I would sure be tempted to call this a 67 or at least a 66+. Maybe it was the toning, but PCGS only gave it a 66.

1941- 66b PCGS SL.JPG

20. rzage

My eyes must really be going , as I don't see any marks under America . I do see the mark above the TY of liberty though , and that's what kept me from going 67 . Still a beautiful coin though

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Draft saved Draft deleted